New 360 liters tank - need gelp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 360 liters tank - need gelp

I'm basically new to planted aquariums, I bought a new tank, I tried doing some research on different types of plants, their requirements, etc...
So right now my plant has mainly HC Cuba as carpet, I bought 3 tubs of Monte Carlos but I didn't plant them yet, have few stem plants in the back, and mixed types of mosses tied to the wood.
I'm not sure about few things... can I add Monte Carlo in between the HC Cuba, and I've started adding have dosing of the recommended dose of Flourish starter pack level 1.
Now I was also wondering about the tank cycling period, how do I know that my tank is still cycling or it's done cycling already, I think I might need to buy some sort of a test kit to do that, I'll only get a test kit if it doesn't cost me much, and something that's simple to use.
Other details of my tank is I have an EASY LED Universal light 145cm long approximately(72W, 6800k, T580W, luminous flux 6257lm)

I'm using a pressurised co2 tank with a reactor.
I have a sunsun 304 canister filter.

The tank is 5 days old as of 7th August 2015.
Done 1 water change of 30% so far. Every 3rd day I'll do a 30% water change till 1 month, after that I'll do once a week water change of 30~50%.
Today I added 7 ottos to the tank, they're my algae eradication team haha.

So when can I introduce more fish into the tank? I've reserved 50 cardinal tetras waiting impatiently to be added to the plant.
I just want some general tips on what to do with my plant, and maybe some corrections for some mistakes I've done without being aware of. [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Omar EAZi; 08-07-2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: wrong date.. correct date is 7th of August..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

1 more question, a friend of mine told me that my HC Cubas are growing upwards because the intensity of the light is too low for them, he suggested that I add one more LED light to the tank. what do you guys think? shall I add another light or is the one that I have enough.
in case I have to add another light, what other good lights are there for a 150cm tank that you guys suggest? I prefer something that can be turned ON/OFF automatically with a timer or something.
Thanks.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Did you mean 7th of August? If so, 5 days is a very new tank, I would be concerned about the ottos. Normaly you would wait a few weeks to a month.
Less light = the plant will grow higher to reach the light.
More light = the plant will get more bushy, to have more surface area, to collect more light.
This is true with many plants
Adding more light all depends on if you want it to grow tall or bushy?

Last edited by fishyfishy101; 08-07-2015 at 12:40 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Planted Member

Step 1 - Google "aquarium nitrogen cycle"
Step 2 - Read
Step 3 - Go to your local fish store and buy an "API Master test kit" (less than $30, or if you're broke after buying all that aquatic bling, just get an "Ammonia" and "Nitrite test kit. Make sure to get NitrIte...NOT NitrAte!) about $5 each.

When your Ammonia and Nitrite tests have spiked and gone down to 0ppm, Your tank is cycled and fish can safely be added. Do not put a lot of fish in at once! You could overload your biological bacteria's capacity, and cause another Ammonia/NitrIte spike!

Hc is is a stem plant, and grows upward. All plants do. The carpet effect is achieved through trimming, this forces the plant to produce side shoots rather than vertical growth, in order for the plant to survive. I have a book that says HEMIANTHUS CALLITRICHOIDES and get up to 16 inches (40cm) tall. HC 'Cuba" I'm not so sure about, I'm not an HC expert... I'm a grass man myself.

5 days as of July 7th, so your saying it has been a full month since initian setup? You should be cycled at this point, but I'd definitely test before adding any critters, just to be safe.

MJB

Last edited by MJB13; 08-07-2015 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Editing
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The tank is almost 5~6 days old only, I added the ottos yesterday, and they're doing fine and they look normal and there are no affects of stress on the fishes. What about if I take an old sponge from a friend that has an old tank, and then put that sponge into my filter to get the good bacteria from it, will that help to cycle my tank faster?

Last edited by Omar EAZi; 08-07-2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar EAZi View Post
The tank is almost 5~6 days old only, I added the ottos yesterday, and they're doing fine and they look normal and there are no affects of stress on the fishes. What about if I take an old sponge from a friend that has an old tank, and then put that sponge into my filter to get the good bacteria from it, will that help to cycle my tank faster?
Absolutely, it will speed up the cycle much faster.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

There's some algae growth on..

a friend of mine told me not to worry, the ottos will eat them.. but I'm not sure if there's something to worry about or it's just normal

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

bump.. still need some help with this algae..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The ottos will probably eat it, nothing to worry about.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

how many ottos are enough for 360 liters tank? I have 7 now.. I was thinking to have around 15~20 ottos to make sure they take care of all algae in the tank.

Another question. I want to add another LED light to my tank.. what light you guys suggest for a 150cm long tank?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was also thinking of adding Amado Shrimps in the tank, they're great algae eaters, and they're also a bit hardy.. they can survive different water conditions.. in 2 days I'll get a test kit to check my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in the tank.. and see I'd the tank is done cycling yet or not...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode