Can I Use Sea Shells In An Aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I Use Sea Shells In An Aquarium?

I live in a sea side town so being near a beach its really easy for me to collect rocks and shells. I've got some really cool ones I want to put them to use in a tank. It doesn't really fit considering these shells came from the sea and I'm wanting to put them in a freshwater tank, but let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Crushed coral and cuttle bones .. and I think sea shells are used to raise hardness in a tank, depending on what fish/inverts you are keeping and your current hardness redaings this may be good or bad to add. Personally I'd advise against it but I don't like using anything hat effect water parameters.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:51 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Unless you're trying to have hard water or keep hard water fish, I would avoid sea-anything. Everything like that in the ocean builds skeletons of calcium carbonate which will readily dissolve at ph values of under 7. This will just give you very alkaline hard water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Depends

Depends on what you're keeping in the tank. Like the others have said it will increase the hardness.

What some forum members have advocated with rocks is to test it out in a bucket. Can probably do the same with sea shells, etc. add water to bucket, leave out overnight, test pH, GH, KH. Add shells, wait a few days and re-test. Wait a few more days, and test again. If you are able, use similar amount of water in bucket as in tank you want to put your shells in (or go for a similar proportion of shell to water).

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Or get results faster by adding lots of shells to a small amount of water.

Acidic water in the tank will dissolve the shells.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

I you are not especially interested in keeping your tank water soft, it would not hurt to display a few seashells in it. Just don't overdo it, and keep up your scheduled water changes.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
+1, I tend to keep a shell in the bottom of my tank to give my snails a source of calcium to slurp on...

That said:

1) be aware that any seashell you put in your tank will slowly dissolve.. Don't put your favorite showpiece shells in there. I use arc clam or regular clam shells because they're easy to come by.

2) I'd suggest boiling them before putting them in.. just to make sure they're disease free.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode