Plants covering Filter Intakes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
Plants covering Filter Intakes?

Hi Guys,

A lot of my plants have grown over the filter intakes and I'm wondering what you guys thought about this? Does anyone try to avoid plants covering the intakes? I don't really see leaves or stems going into the intake or anything, but it just causes me to think that it could be affecting flow.

-Mikey G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It does affect flow, it restricts it.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So does no one have plants covering their intakes? I like the look of not being able to see them, but have to decide if it's worth the reduced flow...

-Mikey G

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Just depends on the plant.

I used to keep Amazon Sword leaves around filter intakes - the broad leaves will hide the tube - while not being sucked in and slowing filter flow

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
It will help to reduce the inefficient intake of water & debris by using a fine mesh pre-filter on the filter intake.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Just depends on the plant.

I used to keep Amazon Sword leaves around filter intakes - the broad leaves will hide the tube - while not being sucked in and slowing filter flow
That's kind of what I was thinking too. I have swords covering one of the 2 intakes and Ludwigia on the other. I also have some black sponge covering both intakes so the larger pieces don't get sucked in.

-Mikey G
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeygmzmg View Post
A lot of my plants have grown over the filter intakes and I'm wondering what you guys thought about this[...] but it just causes me to think that it could be affecting flow.
Um... If the plant does not block your intake, it does not block your intake. If the plant blocks 50% of the intake, it blocks 50% of the intake. If the plant blocks 90% of the intake, it blocks 90% of the intake.

So, what is this question about?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Um... If the plant does not block your intake, it does not block your intake. If the plant blocks 50% of the intake, it blocks 50% of the intake. If the plant blocks 90% of the intake, it blocks 90% of the intake.

It means um.. [censored][censored][censored][censored] off if your just trying to mess with the word play on my thread. I understand if a cup of water is half full, it's 50% full.

My question is does anyone else let their plants grow over and around the filter intakes.

Thx,

-Mikey G
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Not very helpful.

This is something I was wondering about as well, OP. I have HOB filters and will be growing plants that can get up to 2 ft(hygrophilia)... I wonder if it will be bad for the leaves if it is constantly "sucked on" by the filter intake.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get a small cylindrical foam pre-filter for the intake. Adds bio filtering, prevents crud from plugging your filter media and keeps leaves from blocking the intake. Also keeps small critters like shrimp from disappearing and shrimp will hang out on it eating all day long.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Quote:

It means um.. [censored][censored][censored][censored] off if your just trying to mess with the word play on my thread. I understand if a cup of water is half full, it's 50% full.

My question is does anyone else let their plants grow over and around the filter intakes.

Thx,
best reaCTION EVER!!!!!!!!
LOL dying
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
There's a plant and there's a plant.

You can allow large-leaved anubias to grow close to filter intake - it won't block the flow to any appreciable degree. Typically, all "rigid" plants are OK in that regard.

Yet at the same time, vallisneria, amazon sword or any "soft" plants will obviously "cling" to the intake and restrict the flow.

Yet the latter does not mean that one should adamantly avoid growing sort plants around the intake. It is just a matter of keeping an eye on your intake and cleaning it when necessary. But that goes without saying.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Get a small cylindrical foam pre-filter for the intake. Adds bio filtering, prevents crud from plugging your filter media and keeps leaves from blocking the intake. Also keeps small critters like shrimp from disappearing and shrimp will hang out on it eating all day long.
I think that's a great idea. I have some foam too.

I did a really good cleaning, pruning, trimming, and water change tonight. My plan is to let the filter run over night and give them both a good cleaning tomorrow after work. That's when I'll add the foam
Over the intakes so that they have a fresh start.

Thanks for the help on this guys!

-MG

Bump:
Quote:
There's a plant and there's a plant.

You can allow large-leaved anubias to grow close to filter intake - it won't block the flow to any appreciable degree. Typically, all "rigid" plants are OK in that regard.

Yet at the same time, vallisneria, amazon sword or any "soft" plants will obviously "cling" to the intake and restrict the flow.

Yet the latter does not mean that one should adamantly avoid growing sort plants around the intake. It is just a matter of keeping an eye on your intake and cleaning it when necessary. But that goes without saying.
For sure, I get that and that's a good idea to just keep a close eye on them.

-Mikey G
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I agree - and the best one of these that I know of that does a real bang-up job is the Fluval cylindrical pre-filter, usually available @ PetSmart stores for less than $2.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Planted Member

I prune the plants back, and keep the filter intakes both clear and visible. I try not to block the intake at all, because:

1. All of my heating is plumbed through the canister, during the winter months it needs max flow.

2. The job of the filter is to remove crap, so that I can rinse it out of the foam and floss later. It can't do that when there are leaves in the way.

Pruning is a good thing, make it happen.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode