10 gallon Metaframe with cracked slate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
10 gallon Metaframe with cracked slate

I found the tank on a former neighbor's curb. Not holding the same view that this was trash, I took it home. It's been sitting in my shed for quite a while and I finally got around to taking a good look at it today. It appears to have been used to house a hamster or gerbil, which may not be a problem, but there's also a crack in the slate bottom that runs from front to back. A water test shows that it's a very slow leak. Do you think running silicone along the crack would prevent it from leaking? I'd really like to use this tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If the slate is clean it would work.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks. I guess I have nothing to lose by trying it. The tank will probably need to be completely resiliconed anyway.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
If u don't mind iv got a question.
What kinda silicone would u use? 100% silicone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

I know people like the retro look of these old Metaframe, but if you have a cracked slate, it's very difficult to repair by running a bead of silicone along the crack.

The trouble is that the fix might work for awhile and then fail, and your now tearing down a nice, established tank to fix it again.

Your best course of action would be to just get a new 10 gal tank.

Or better still that 100 gal tank you always wanted (grin)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Maybe install a piece of glass over the slate?

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
My vote's for picking up a new 10gal tank for $10-$12 just about anywhere. Could even get a really nice Deep Blue Professional with clean, black silicone for about that price.

Then reseal the slate tank and instead of using it to hold ten gallons of water - use it as a grow out tank for emersed plants or as terrarium. You could grow some really great Anubias, mosses and the like with just regular misting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Algae Grower

Silicone will not stick to slate. It will start leaking much sooner than the silicone is worth. If you want to repair it properly find a local glass cutting place and have them cut you a piece of glass about 1/8th inch less than the size of the inside of the bottom of your tank. Then smear a layer of silicone all over the slate for cushion and place the glass on top and then reseal the inside of the tank like you would a modern tank.

I got that trick from a now retired lfs owner who has used it many times and it worked perfectly for my tank too.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I know it's heart breaking to see these old broken tanks.
It could still be used for a terrarium maybe??
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
The slate is the last piece that is put in when the tank was assembled. So why would that matter? Simple. Use a heat gun, a putty/glazing knife, and a ton of patience and remove the slate. Then put a new piece of glass in.

The only silicone that will stick to the slate if you want to go that route is Dow 795.

When I was rebuilding one of my 10 gallon Metaframes I put glass in the bottom just to lock in the sides and it looked pretty nice. If the slate is broken in any of the others I have to redo glass is a nice option.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Removing it sounds a bit risky. Why couldn't I just lay apiece of glass on top of the slate and silicone it in? As long as it's watertight, the cracked slate shouldn't matter. Right? Here's the tank:

Here's the crack:

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

I always reseal these tanks with a bead of silicone around all the joints. I don't see why you can't silicone the slate but if you want to improve on that you could use an epoxy.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
For me, a tank like that is just screaming, "Turn me into a 10gal vertical vivarium!"

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Would Marineland Hold Fast Epoxy Stick work? The package says that it bonds live rock, slate, plants and corals.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

I usually use west system epoxies but they are expensive. Something like this from home depot would work.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-0...5604/100371825

I use silicone caulks all the time to repair aquariums and I rarely have problems. I have a 35 gallon tank that I broke the glass side panel on and repaired about three years ago with silicone caulk. As long as the bond is good and the silicone is thick enough I don’t think you will have a problem. My tank looks terrible I put thick silicone on both sides of the glass. You don’t need to be neat you simply need to make sure there is plenty of adhesion and strength. Like a half inch wide and an eighth of an inch thick or something like that. The bottom will be covered by substrate anyway.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode