how good is the surface skimming of the vortex of lily pipes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
how good is the surface skimming of the vortex of lily pipes?

For those of you that have the vortex effect working on lily pipes- does it completely eradicate surface scum or do you still have a generous amount of film?

I have an open top tank and the oil on the surface drives me nuts. Is there a flake food for neon tetras that has minimal oils?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 08:37 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Most of the lily piped tanks I've seen on the forum (excluding my own) have been able to eliminate surface gunk with minimal agitation. Pretty sure raising them at night helps a lot with scum buildup.

If you don't have pipes already, have you considered running an air pump on a timer to break up the surface? Could be cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
It's actually pretty difficult to make this happen unless you've got bit of flow coming out of the pipe and the correct type of pipe. Even then, it requires almost daily adjustment to keep it going. It does work well when it does work.

I definitely wouldn't buy lily's to get rid of surface scum. An air stone or a surface skimmer(best) work better.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
ok thanks. I'm trying to minimize equipment in the tank.

I would love to have an inline diffuser that pumps air (not CO2) into my canister filter outflow. Anyone hear of such a thing?

I guess I could just put a pollen glass in the tank and hook it up to an air pump, with a timer that turns on at night (I don't like the noise of air pumps)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 04:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Trying not to get to far off topic but I can achieve the vortex with my Koralia circulators.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Never felt like lily pipes put a dent on surface doc. Eheim 350 or Vuppa works!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode