How much is too much flow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much is too much flow?

I am switching from a 20 high to a 20 long, once my plants come in. I had issues with algae on slow growing plants, I figure a little more flow would help a little by eliminating some dead spots and agitate any algae that wants to grow.

I already have an Aquaclear 50. I would like to add a power head for more control over where the flow is coming from. Would adding a small power head like a Maxi-Jet 400 be too muchf for a 20 long?

That would take it from 10x turnover rate to 15x.

Last edited by Animag771; 08-02-2015 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anybody? Grr that typo in the name bugs me

Not sure if this helps at all, but stocking is going to be
4 julii corydoras
3 otos
8 glass bloodfin tetras
8 espei rasboras
1 apistogramma agassizii

Last edited by Animag771; 08-01-2015 at 11:38 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

15 x is a little on the high side, but I think a lot of it will be lost due to the long tank length.

I am not sure if you can, but since you are the OP, can you hit Edit on your first post, and edit the title? I know some forums allow that.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
15 x is a little on the high side, but I think a lot of it will be lost due to the long tank length.

I am not sure if you can, but since you are the OP, can you hit Edit on your first post, and edit the title? I know some forums allow that.
Awesome that fixed it.

I was thinking the plants migh slow the flow a bit and I could also add a pre-filter to it, which could help.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 03:05 AM
Planted Member

Definitely use flow until you think your plants bend way too much in the current.
I had major problems with algae on my 17g tank with an Eheim 2215. Added an Eheim 350 skimmer and that helped somewhat cuz it pushes more water around but I already placed an order for a Vortech MP10 to stir things around a little more...maybe get rid of that ugly Eheim skimmer. Flow is always good...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted_Edge View Post
Definitely use flow until you think your plants bend way too much in the current.
I had major problems with algae on my 17g tank with an Eheim 2215. Added an Eheim 350 skimmer and that helped somewhat cuz it pushes more water around but I already placed an order for a Vortech MP10 to stir things around a little more...maybe get rid of that ugly Eheim skimmer. Flow is always good...
But how much flow is too much? Your Eheim 2215 has 164gph and the 350 skimmer has 80gph. That's 14.35 turnover rate for your 17g. So would 15x be too much? I know reef tanks do like 20+ turnover, but then again these aren't reefs...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 06:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

On my 20 high I have an AC 50 plus a Fluval 206 and I think it is just right. I like to be over filtered, especially when there are so many plants blocking the flow.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 06:48 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
Quote:
But how much flow is too much? Your Eheim 2215 has 164gph and the 350 skimmer has 80gph. That's 14.35 turnover rate for your 17g. So would 15x be too much? I know reef tanks do like 20+ turnover, but then again these aren't reefs...
Truth is, each tank is different...rock or wood placement, thick stem groups, all these can slow down flow to almost 0 in some spots.its also important where your canister outlet is placed ...you want a circular current going across the front, the side and back towards the intake.

Or if you have a spray bar mounted on the back, you point it slightly downward, move water in circular motion down the front glass , substrate and back to the intake which should be on the back as well.

You don't want a bunch of flow going nowhere ...

I feel like I don't have enough flow right now in my tank...also that flow for the Eheim is empty (no media)... in real life is much lower...I think I'm taking out the skimmer and using it only when needed for short periods of time, while the 2215 (+/- 100gph ) + Vortech Mp10 (200gph on the lowest setting) will be almost 20 times turnover.
BUT, if I had an Iwagumi style tank for example, even a 2215 might have been a little too much...

Like I said, adjust based on plant movement, surface agitation etc...you'll know when it's too much.If you see plants move decently in the current, then you have enough. If they are stagnant, you know you have a dead spot and nutrients and CO2 will likely be low in those areas...which in turn results in poor plant growth, plant death, etc.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
On my 20 high I have an AC 50 plus a Fluval 206 and I think it is just right. I like to be over filtered, especially when there are so many plants blocking the flow.
Awesome you have a very similar setup then and you are running 406gph total and I am just talking about running 310gph and my tank is longer. So, I think I will be JUST fine.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can always add things to slow it down. More filter floss or a sponge on the intake will have a noticeable effect.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I added a stainless steel intake on my 2211, it requires cleaning twice a week or I have a big reduction in flow. You can also point the output towards the back of the tank.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
You can always add things to slow it down. More filter floss or a sponge on the intake will have a noticeable effect.
That's kind of what I had in mind. Also I really doubt that the true gph of any filter is as strong as what the manufacturer rates it at.I feel really stupid, because this whole time I haven't even considered the fact that I could simply turn down my AC50.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Truth is, each tank is different...rock or wood placement, thick stem groups, all these can slow down flow to almost 0 in some spots.its also important where your canister outlet is placed ...you want a circular current going across the front, the side and back towards the intake.

Or if you have a spray bar mounted on the back, you point it slightly downward, move water in circular motion down the front glass , substrate and back to the intake which should be on the back as well.

You don't want a bunch of flow going nowhere ...

I feel like I don't have enough flow right now in my tank...also that flow for the Eheim is empty (no media)... in real life is much lower...I think I'm taking out the skimmer and using it only when needed for short periods of time, while the 2215 (+/- 100gph ) + Vortech Mp10 (200gph on the lowest setting) will be almost 20 times turnover.
BUT, if I had an Iwagumi style tank for example, even a 2215 might have been a little too much...

Like I said, adjust based on plant movement, surface agitation etc...you'll know when it's too much.If you see plants move decently in the current, then you have enough. If they are stagnant, you know you have a dead spot and nutrients and CO2 will likely be low in those areas...which in turn results in poor plant growth, plant death, etc.

Somehow I completely missed this post. This is all very informative and really helpful.

I will go ahead and add the Maxi-Jet 400. I plan to put the power head in the back left corner pointingalong the glass to the right so that it will flow towards my AC50 and that will push it forward. Hopefully this will give me a decent clockwise rotation in the tank.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just ordered a Maxi-Jet 400 Pro. It should be here on Thursday. Thank you for all of your help everyone. I think it's going to work out great... Worst case scenario I turn down my AC50 and throw on a pre-filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode