How to get driftwood to stop floating - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
How to get driftwood to stop floating

So anybody have any thoughts on this? I have a couple branches of Manzanita driftwood that I'd like to use... but as soon as I put them in the tank they float all the way to the top!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Place some rocks on them or tie rocks onto them with fishing line. After they get water logged you can remove the rocks or leave them in if they look good.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini-M Journal 2:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wood floating

I had to weight it down with a rock inside a tote tub filled with water. Took 2 months to sink. Just gotta do it and be patient.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you can boil the wood multiple times it gets water-logged a bit faster. After boiling I tend to let it sit in the water all day, weighted down with a rock if needed, then dump the next day or later that day and boil some more. Overall I think it took a few days for my last batch. So boiled maybe 4-5 times.

I've also done like others suggested, find a bin big enough to hold it, weigh down with rocks and wait (more than a week for sure).

Malaysian wood was a lot faster, two boils was all it took for me.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Run it through the dishwasher a couple times (no detergent) and let it sit in a tub for while. Should sink after a while. And it won't leach as many tannins.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I soaked mine for more than a week in a plastic bin and changed the water every 3 days. Never floated plus the less tanins =)

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:03 AM
Dc5
Algae Grower

I soaked mine in a 55g tank for well over a month and a half before he started to sink.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:07 PM
Planted Member

I screwed it to ceramic tiles and used 100% silicone to "glue" it to the bottom.

If you choose to do this, be sure to use stainless steel screws and completely cover the screw heads with silicone.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:57 PM
Planted Member

Boil it, this will also get rid of the tannins.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
i just let mine float until it eventually (week or so) became waterlogged.

seems like Patience is literally everything in this hobby

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Don't know if it's my imagination but I drill holes in the wood with a very small drill bit.
That allows the water to get in quicker/deeper. The holes end up being almost invisible or looking like worm holes anyway. Very small=less than 1/8" drill bit. And I put a hole less than 1" apart all over it. Only took a couple of days that way.
Some "drift wood" is very buoyant and thus the reason it's drift wood instead of sink wood. But 90% of it will sink if just left in there long enough.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Don't know if it's my imagination but I drill holes in the wood with a very small drill bit.
That allows the water to get in quicker/deeper. The holes end up being almost invisible or looking like worm holes anyway. Very small=less than 1/8" drill bit. And I put a hole less than 1" apart all over it. Only took a couple of days that way.
Some "drift wood" is very buoyant and thus the reason it's drift wood instead of sink wood. But 90% of it will sink if just left in there long enough.
I don't think it's your imagination! This totally makes sense as it gives the water more access points by cutting across the grain. Dang, wish I'd thought of it. Much thanks for this tip.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Boiling gets them water logged (and removed tannins and the sugars that cause the fungus growth new wood often gets underwater). There are some species of wood that will never sink though like red cedar (note: only used very well aged/dried pieces never fresh-if you can smell cedar it still has the harmful antibacterial sap in it). I have a red cedar driftwood that's been put underwater for over 2 years, if its unscrewed from the large rock its attached to it shoots to the surface still. But manzanita will sink with time (or boiling) so don't fret. Note: if you boil it, let it cool before putting in the tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode