Favorite Biotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Favorite Biotope

I have an empty 40B that I think I may try dirt on. Never had a dirted tank, but been keeping plants for about 2 years now (been in the hobby idk how long, a while).

Anyways I've done the amazonian/S America thing, and i've done the SE Asian thing, and I did the African cichlid thing a loooong time ago but don't really feel like doing that. I'm wondering if anyone has any good biotope ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Planted Member

I dunno if you are looking for an aquarium or terrarium type setup, but I think a calcareous fen could be an interesting and challenging biotope to try. There are a few flowering plants unique to this biotope that would be cool to see bloom.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Do an Australian biotope with rainbows or, an Asian hilstream. Also, you could do African Congo, or, African killi. West African dwarfs with a kribensis species BESIDES P. pulcher.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

African biotopes aren't as common. You could fairly easily make one for some african dwarf frogs.

Also, probably easiest and most fun would be to make one cebtered around something local to you. It shouldn't be too difficult to find some kind of natural water to imitate.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virc003 View Post

Also, probably easiest and most fun would be to make one cebtered around something local to you. It shouldn't be too difficult to find some kind of natural water to imitate.
I've always wanted to do this!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did the local tank thing with a saltwater set up: collected local substrate, local water, local sea grasses and rockweed, got 21 mummichogs, some asian shore crabs, 2 unknown goby species, and 21 common periwinkles. It was cool for a while but I got bored, released everything and tore the tank down. Thats actually the tank I'm looking for ideas about.

Never done it for freshwater tho
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 12:50 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
How do you feel about Stiphodon atropurpureus?

Rachel O'Leary has highlighted some of Ricky Chawla's S. atro tanks (here and here) that are tons of fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I vote for a local North American biotope. I keep natives, although I don't have a true biotope. It's fun to collect them and to learn about your own flora and fauna.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:41 PM
Planted Member

I love the look of black water and a variety of tetras. I want to do one someday.

Tags
biotope, dirt, ideas, new tank, plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode