Help w/ Setup & Prep -- 29g Planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post Help w/ Setup & Prep -- 29g Planted

Hello all,
I am looking to start a new tank and am looking for some guidance. Here is what I am looking at as of now:
  • Tank: 29g fresh water, Cichlid, 30" x 12" x 18"
    • I am attaching some images below of where I plan to place the Aquarium--does it look like this will support the weight?
  • Lighting: LED's, Current Satellite Plus -or- Fluval Eco Bright -- these are the two I have been researching. I really like the light settings on the Satellite Plus (Storm, Overcast, etc). The Fluval was an option I found today at Petco. I am not looking to go much over the $100 mark, preferably closer to the $80 range. Lighting is my main focus for this project!
  • Filtration: I have only ever used a Power Filter, so hopefully this will be adequate.
  • Plants: I want to create a densely planted environment that spans multiple levels (ie, a section of "carpet," medium level, and some that span to higher levels). Is this possible without requiring additional/specialized lighting? The tank depth starts around 18" before any substrate (would LOVE to do sand). If lighting might be a bit week, I do enjoy java fern and anubis, plants that I typically hear about when it comes to "low light tanks."
If anyone has some general advice in regards to my thoughts on the setup please let me know. Specifically, I would LOVE some information in regards to LED lighting and possible plant options. I want to be as informed as possible before beginning the project.

And I am sure I will be back with more questions, but this should do for now

Thanks in advance for any and all help - it is greatly appreciated!!!
---------
Here are the photos of where I intend to house the tank. Tile counter, built in to the wall. I suppose there isn't really a way to "test" it out, so what are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I just re- did my 29 gallon. I went either the finnex planted plus 24/7 led light. I'm running it on the 24/7 mode. So far everything is doing good. I don't have co2 and I have regular gravel with root tabs. I've got a little bit of everything. He ground cover, mid and tall stuff for the back. Of course I just planted everything, so its till growing in, but growth has been pretty good so far, only a few weeks. I got the light on Amazon and it was 90 something shipped.

-----
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I just re- did my 29 gallon. I went either the finnex planted plus 24/7 led light. I'm running it on the 24/7 mode. So far everything is doing good.
Oh wow, this light looks great. Lots of reviews seem to give it praise.

Too many options, so much confusion!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 12:19 PM
kmm

Looks good, use some rubber matting under it. And check it with a level!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am looking at taking either the Finnex route (not sure which model) or the Current Satellite Plus. I do not want to use any CO2 or anything else that it seems some higher end lights can require for plants.

Any suggestions based on everything I have described above? I read about algae issues due to the Finnex 24/7 and with the "Planted" model as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I haven't had any algae in my 29 with the planted plus 24/7, but I run it in the 24/7 mode, so its not full on brightness the whole time.

-----
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I haven't had any algae in my 29 with the planted plus 24/7, but I run it in the 24/7 mode, so its not full on brightness the whole time.
Very interesting, most things I read about the 24/7 cited problems with algae - it seems there are mixed reviews for each light.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah. Anytime I buy something I do research and always get frustrated at the reviews. Because most of the time they are all different .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode