New to this - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to this

Hello all! I have learned and lurked far to long and now it's time to post. I have recently started a 65 gallon long tank that will end up housing discus 1 arowana and a red tail catfish. At the moment this is how my tank looks, any tips , suggestions or criticism is very much welcome . At the moment I have 2 bala Sharks one angel and a baby red tail in the tank . Bala and angel are temporary as my 40 was getting small for them so they will have a new home . Main question I have is ahhhhh what now hahah
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	499865  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Welcome to TPT, Carter!

Nice tank setup ya got going already, man. Nice angel and balas!

Well what you can do now is think about what kinds of fish you'd like. Some tetras would look pretty neat in there. Some rainbowfish would be pretty awesome too, imo. Ottocinclus catfish would be a nice addition as well. Also experiment with your fertilizer dosing, lighting, schedule if you haven't done that already and just let the plants grow out. Then propagate them and keep going till you are heavily planted. Have a good one.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your reply , fishes I'll be adding arowana bass and discus along with one rtc that's in there as of yesterday , I have one question, I have my lights set to come on at 8am and turn off at 7pm , seems to be the natural light schedule here, was wondering how could I still enjoy the tank without having to leave my HO t5's on when I'm home at night ???

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Turn off the lights in the middle of the day. E.g. 5 hours on, 4 hours off, 5 hours on again.

IMHO arowana + discuses (how many?!) + red tail catfish together in 65 gallon tank is not realistic.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Welcome Carter. I don't know too much about lighting, but I too used to keep lights on in relation to the natural sun rise to sunset times, but I ended up having lots of diatoms/brown algae growth and then read some people recommend only 8 hours of light (guess it depends on amount of light and plant needs). There are "moonlight" lights that you can use for night time viewing that won't trigger photosynthesis in your plants and are dim enough that nocturnal fish will come out at night and you can actually see them. Or just schedule lights to turn on at times you are home.

But yes, you would need a much bigger tank to house the fish you plan on keeping. Even 1 arowana by itself at a big enough size is too big for that 65 gallon, same goes for just 1 RTC in the 65 gal. They might be okay at first, but will definitely need a much bigger tank fast. If not the fish will deform (external as well as internal organs will be cramped and shorten the life of the fish) and the bioload will likely be high in a tank that small for fish so large as well as possibly increased aggression from fish in a tightly cramped tank.

Research the fish you are thinking of keeping. Even bala sharks get large. If you can't upgrade to a much larger tank quick (especially if you get a silver arowana as they grow large really fast), then I would suggest sticking with the discus, angelfish and smaller tankmates. The Arowana, and RTC (maybe bala sharks too) actually fit under the monsterfish category and they get too large for a tank that size.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm I might invest in the moonlight but for the time go with turning them on when home, and as far as the fish I'll keep them until they reach a size not comfy for the tank and give them to my Lfs and start over. While not practical it's a go to option for me as these fish are the types I love to house . Coming from a 200 to a 65 I realize space has now become an issue haha but I'm ready to do all needed to house them . The balas do get pretty big but grow slowly so they will stay with me for a while but the rtc and the arowana I'm obtaining will find housing once they become uncomfortable . Thank you all very much for the tips and advice . Awesome forum so far!! Ahh forgot to answer one question as to how many I, thinking 2 discus 1 rtc and 1 aro all will be purchased at there smallest as for the enjoyment to be worth it

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode