Admin - Delete if not allowed(where to buy fish?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Admin - Delete if not allowed(where to buy fish?)

I'm not sure if this goes against the "sale policy" so please delete this if it does.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just wondering which sites are reputable breeders/sellers of fish. I've checked out aquaticarts but they seem to specialize with a handful of species, and there may be some I'd like that they don't have. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi jcmv4792,

Are there particular species you are looking for?

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi jcmv4792,

Are there particular species you are looking for?
Not particular species, but I am on the search for schooling/shoaling fish that live in slightly alkaline and harder water parameters(slightly below ph of 8, kh 7, gh 10). They need to be peaceful(I plan to have lots of dwarf shrimp running around).

Right now all the ones I am looking at have a maximum recommended ph of 7.5(usually lower) and need soft water.(neon, cardinal tetra, chili and kubotai rasbora, rummynose)

Just wondering, but would a planted tank lower ph and hardness? Or would it be the same? I am basing my readings off of my cycled non-planted 20 gallon(and my currently cycling 55 gallon)...however I am preparing my 55 gallon to be a planted tank. It seems to keep the ph lower, I would have go through a lot of maintenance(involving ro water, peat, chemicals..etc)

Bump: I just did a google search and one fish that caught my eye was the "X-Ray Pristella Tetra"

Quote:

Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 64-82 F, KH 4-8, pH 5.8-8.5
Max. Size: 2"
Color Form: Black, Clear, Pink, Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Farm Raised - USA
Family: Characidae

The X-Ray Pristella Tetra is an unusual member of the Characidae Family that has a near transparent body. This novel characteristic gives this tetra the appearance of a living x-ray photograph. However, unlike true clear or glass-like fish, the X-Ray Pristella Tetra has a captivating color pattern that adds another dimension of interest. The dorsal and anal fins have stylish bands of yellow, black, and white. In addition to these bands, the caudal fin has a beautiful pale red or pink coloration that offers yet another unexpected surprise to this seemingly transparent fish.
In the wild, the X-Ray Pristella Tetra is found in coastal rivers of South America of varying water chemistry. This natural tolerance to a wide range of water parameters makes the X-Ray Pristella Tetra well suited for the community aquarium. Unlike sensitive tetra species that need to be kept in soft water conditions, the hardy X-Ray Pristella Tetra is an excellent choice for new aquarists. Furthermore, the X-Ray Pristella Tetra is very peaceful and is compatible with other non-aggressive fish.

The ideal aquarium setup for the X-Ray Pristella Tetra will include live plants, rocks and driftwood to recreate natural habitat and provide hiding spaces. The X-Ray Pristella Tetra is a schooling fish and should be ideally kept in groups of six or more. Similar to other tetra species, the male X-Ray Pristella Tetra will tend to be smaller and thinner than the female.

The natural diet of the X-Ray Pristella Tetra consists primarily of small insects and planktonic animals. However, it will accept frozen or freeze-dried brine shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms tubifex, as well as micro pellet food and high quality flake foods.

Last edited by jcmv4792; 07-24-2015 at 03:05 AM. Reason: additional info

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One site that I've only heard bad things from is AZAquatics, aka Arizona aquatic gardens (or at least, I think it was called that). Bad, bad, and more bad reviews left, right, and center. I won't bother to say more, but just google the store name+review, and see for yourself.

Msjinkzd on the other hand, as well as WetSpotTropicalFish, I've had good contact with. When I PM'ed Rachel (MsJinkzd), I got a very quick reply, and she was very helpful in locating a different source for fish that she did not carry. WetSpot also had very good customer service, in that replies were quick, and informational.

Disclaimer: The only site that I've ever ordered fish from has been LiveAquaria with saltwater fish, and that was iffy at best. Good customer service, but I kinda like my fish to live on me instead of dying after a few weeks. The above sites I've looked through, and made my conclusions based off of other people's reviews as well as contact with the sites.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 04:28 AM
Algae Grower

You can try Imperial Tropicals store. I bought 25 neon tetras there, and they sent me around 28. All are still healthy and growing in my tank right now.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Planted Member

Can't you just have your lfs special order fish

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

-DAN

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Careful with vendor reviews.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
What city are you in? LFS is cheaper and less risky than buying online.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Cheaper and you get to see things in-person before you buy.

As a picky person myself, that always makes it better when getting plants or critters.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode