Tiny Bubbles in Tank Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Tiny Bubbles in Tank Water

I installed a canister the other day and I see tons of micro bubbles in the entire tank. Is this ok? good? bad?

I saw some with my HOB but they are much more noticeable now. I was trying to read up online but couldn't really find anything I was sure about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Do you use CO2? If so, how do you diffuse it?

Microbubbles are likely either from CO2 or from air bubbles from the surface or some other location being dispersed throughout the tank. It is also possible that the plants are making micropearls that are being blown around.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No c02 (I wish!) - it's not pearling. It seems like it would be good but I wanted to make sure it's ok.

I guess it's from the water flow from the filter back into the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
it could be too much air trapped in the canister. I've also seen air seep into the return tubing in places that aren't air tight.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Algae Grower

It's from air in the canister. Check for air leaks like jimbo said. If you don't find any, then wait a few days. If it doesn't go away on its own then something else is happening. As far as I know, the only problem, aside from an air leak, is that the bubbles are displeasing to the eye.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok, will do. I have to undo the hoses anyways because I am stupid and cut one too short, lol! I have to switch them now. I am going to buy metal hose clamps too, it came with plastic ones.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could also rock the filter back and forth to purge the air out of it. I do this every time I clean mine.

What kind of canister if I may ask? Marineland C series by chance?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
You could also rock the filter back and forth to purge the air out of it. I do this every time I clean mine.

What kind of canister if I may ask? Marineland C series by chance?
when i first got my canister i had the same issue. rocking it and even banging on the canister would produce bubbles. just move the canister around and try to get those bubbles out.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangewaters View Post
when i first got my canister i had the same issue. rocking it and even banging on the canister would produce bubbles. just move the canister around and try to get those bubbles out.
Yea but my first C series developed micro fractures around the prime buttons retaining ring. Had to take apart the head and seal the ring with a skin of silicone inside and out. It use to suck air no matter what I did, once I sealed the micro fractures not an issue since

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'll try that, I have to undo it tomorrow to switch my hoses.

It's a filstar

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Make sure the intake is clean (sure ought to be with a new filter!)
As the intake gets blocked it can create a bit of a low pressure are in the filter, and bubbles can form.

I suspect, though, it is the last of the air that was trapped in the filter media, and you will see less of it pretty soon.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

[QUOTE]Make sure the intake is clean (sure ought to be with a new filter!)
As the intake gets blocked it can create a bit of a low pressure are in the filter, and bubbles can form.
/QUOTE]

That could be it! I put a mesh bag around it because I got some CRS and it's quite dirty already. I think the CRS were a snack unfortunately so I'll probably uncover it. I hear it gurgle some too.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:20 AM

Make sure all your media in trays in the filter are seated correctly. I had the same issue and found out I over filled one of them that solved my problem. The filter worked even with an over filled tray for a day but it had the same issue your experiencing. These canister filters can be temperamental at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
I installed a canister the other day and I see tons of micro bubbles in the entire tank. Is this ok? good? bad?

I saw some with my HOB but they are much more noticeable now. I was trying to read up online but couldn't really find anything I was sure about.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode