Best Method for Scratch Removal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Best Method for Scratch Removal

Hi Folks,

What is the best tried and true method for getting some minor scratches out of aquarium glass?

Has anybody used this method with good results?
http://homeaquaria.com/aquarium-scratch-removal/

The author doesn't describe the type of pad he's using. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but having experience in car detailing I can say that pad choice and compound matters a lot when removing scratches from clear coats.

Thanks for your input!
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just my thoughts?
I note that they mention showing how to do it and what material. But did they show how it turned out?
At the end, they ask about your experience. Those two make me believe they are not actually offering a solution, but just placing an ad in front of the public for folks who are searching for the "magic" answer. I have bought quite a few scratched tanks from folks who never found that answer.
I also sold them with the scratches because I tried all solutions offered and never found the magic.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Getting scratches out of glass can be quite difficult; and obviously depends on the severity of the scratch. The only other person I've ever seen talk about potentially polishing glass (not acrylic) to remove scraches is the king of DIY on youtube uraujoey. He used Cerium Oxide as noted in that article. You should be able to find his how to vids on that pretty easily if you want to try.

If you have knowledge of detailing cars you understand that there is no magic way to simply remove a scratch but can minimize what you see by taking down the height of the surrounding area (and/or filling the scratch to bring it up to the height of the surrounding area thereby minimizing how visible it is). Now remember that glass is a LOT harder than the clear coat on a car and you have to look through the aquarium glass; not just at it. So having said that, its obviously much more difficult to get a scratch out of glass than a car.

What kind of tank are we talking about here and how bad is the scratch(es)?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks for the responses.

Wasn't making a direct comparison of car finish scratches and glass. In the article that I listed there was no mention of the type of pad used. Which matters in most applications. Thanks for the youtube info. Will definitely check it out.

The tank is a 90H ADA. I recently moved from ATL to Jersey and thought since the tank is sitting empty for the time being I might as well do some TLC and try to get a couple of small scratches out (from Congo gravel that got stuck in the glass cleaning blade).

G
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra View Post

The tank is a 90H ADA.
G
Could be worth giving it a shot then. If you had said its a standard 10 gallon I'd say just toss it and go buy a new one!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode