Help! I need to cool my tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Help! I need to cool my tank!

My tank is a 9 gallon Aquastyle, and I don't know how to cool it down. It is up in the 80s. I just floated some bagged ice in it but I need something better, right? I understand that some folks use small fans? Can anyone give me some specific directions for this?

The house is kept at 78 so that isn't any help. I've only ever had large tanks so have never encountered this problem before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Depending on what you keep in that tank, getting up into the 80s may not be too much of a problem.

But if you think its needed you can use something like the fan below. Basically clip it to the side of the tank and have it blow across the surface. Should help knock the temp down a few degrees easily. I found that one here: http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Convertible-Desk-Black-HCF0611A-BM/dp/B007QE62PU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437580276&sr=8-2&keywords=clip+on+fan

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! I may keep looking for a smaller one though.

The tank is home to CPDs, Otos, and shrimp.
I have been keeping the glass lid on it for fear someone will jump. Do you think i could safely leave it off? I don't want anyone to commit suicide.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

when it gets warm like this I tend to make the risky choice of keeping my lids open. Seems to help cool off the tanks a bit. BUT there is now more of a chance of a fish jumping. So that choice is up to you!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

See if you can find some screening to replace the glass. This will allow the water to cool but keep the little jumpers in place.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
See if you can find some screening to replace the glass. This will allow the water to cool but keep the little jumpers in place.
Good idea! something like egg crate/light diffuser should work well for this.

Rich's Fishes
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The Otos should be fine, but the CPD's won't be happy and I'm not shrimp guy.

What else is taking the water from 78 in the room to somewhere in the 80's?

The fan lksnrinker posted above isn't really huge, but if you go to a dollar store, you can find a really cheap desktop clip-on that's really small enough to match the size of the tank.

You may not be pleased with what eggcrate will do to your lighting. They are meant to be within a couple of inches from a T5 tube that's 8 to 10 feet off the ground and focus the light straight down. So that in an aquarium where you want light dispersion over the tank's footprint, you'll notice the tank looks a bit dimmer and the edges will actually be light-deprived. Additionally, if any of the fish you have in there want to bolt, it won't stop them.

If you think the problem will persist, your best bet is a couple of layers of pond netting. At least two layers with the mesh over lapping. It's UV resistant, and won't block or affect any lighting meant for the tank, and you can still get a little desk fan and aim it at the water surface. Stepping up water movement will also help the cause immensely. Lastly, remember to compensate for higher evaporation rates.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I need a touch of cooling quite often and I find fans are good for me. I do not like to run fans which use a lot of energy as that also leads to having to run the AC to get rid of that excess heat the motor generates as well as my tanks are next to the room where I sleep.
That leaves me liking computer fans. I find them very cheap, either from junk computers which I get for free or at worst they are a few dollars from computer stores. I match the voltage of the fan with a second hand power supply from Goodwill and set, lean or strap them near the tank top. They don't need to blow directly on the water but just over or near the water surface.
Cheap, easy and QUIET!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (492/100%)
Bumping this up to the top because I keep getting PMs and seeing posts about how to cool tanks.

PlantedRich has some great advice if you're new to tanking. You'd be surprised just how much a re-purposed computer fan can cool a tank down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Plantedrich - Guess we both had the same basic idea...

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I get about 6 degrees cooling on my 75's from a four inch fan. It only needs to move the air that settles right above the water out of the way so that other, less humid air can move in. This is like having a slight breeze on your skin. The evaporation is what cools things.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode