Callamanus worms... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Callamanus worms...

Okay, so just a while ago, I found a single red worm hanging out from my guppy's anus, which I believe, is a callamanus(sp?) worm. He didn't show any sign of it before it popped up. He was eating fine, pooping fine, even aggressively does the mating dance on all other fishes. I did have 1 guppy a a little over 6 months ago which had callamanus worms. I didn't do any medication before but didn't get any worms on my other fishes up until now, and the one that got it was the newest guppy (~2 months).

I'm hoping it isn't these worms and I'm just overreacting since the guppy didn't show any symptoms, but it definitely looked like a callamanus worm. Red thin worm approx 2mm out of his anus.

I've read various medication and fenbendazole levamisole as the "best". Other medications just somewhat stuns them and stuff. If these are the dreaded worms, can you guys give me a good list of meds?

P.S. I have an assassin snail, a few shrimps and tons of MTS, so medication without affecting them is preferred. Medicated food is also preferred (if effective) over those meds with dosage and stuff.

EDIT: Found a post where this guy says Levamisole will kill the worms more effectively than fenbendazole.

Last edited by Miki117; 07-21-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: new info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Levamisole is the only thing you should use for these worms. It's the only truly effective treatment. Just be sure to follow the full instructions including the follow up dosing 3 weeks later to nuke any babies that were born. I saved a Bolivian Ram I had and the rest of my tank with great success using this.

The worms have been there all along in your tank if you never treated it. Some fish they do not show right away, others do. Sometimes they just don't show until the fish is overrun with them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm, is levamisole easy to find? Where do you usually find this?

Probably, I was thinking I was in the clear as no other fish showed any sign of these for months. Is it invert safe?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

I bought mine from MVP Aquatics on Aquabid.com. I just checked and they have it on there now still.

I bought one from *bay previously which was either old and ineffective or fake. I can personally vouch for MVP Aquatics though.

It is invert safe.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, so online. Any chance that it is available in a local pet store or vet clinic? I don't really have any way to purchase online currently.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Vets may have it. I doubt local pet stores, haven't seen any in my experience.

I believe it's a cow or pig dewormer, so livestock doctor's should have it. Whether they will sell it is a different story.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've read in another forum that they're usually available in livestock shops, but I have to look at the meds on my own as most store clerks have no idea what it is. I've read that this is somewhat light sensitive. How sensitive is it? Is it to the point that the tank needs to be in total blackout? Or is room light enough?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Definitely light sensitive. I did a 3 day blackout and wrapped the tank in towels to keep ambient lighting out.

Your fish will also seem drunk on it. It's ok though, they will bounce back after you do the big water change after 3 days.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh okay. I think this is a dumb question, but how long for it to lose effectiveness when struck by at least ambient light?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

I haven no idea honestly. I didn't alter the treatment and did exactly as you're supposed to. Not something I wanted to play with. Why change what works?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Don't want to change anything, I was just thinking how would you set it up if it is light sensitive, so that thought came up lol!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can you give me an exact instruction with the levamisole that you got before? I'm getting mixed instructions while searching.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've read mixed comments about Levamisole killing or paralyzing the worms. So which one is it? I'm hoping for the former since I won't be able to do an effective substrate vac as I'm using sand substrate.

Tags
callamanus worms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode