Petsmart aquatic plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Petsmart aquatic plants?

I do not have a good LFS near me, so I looked at a petsmart, I know people say that the store sucks, but they had some java fern, anubias, crypts, and amazon sword. They all looked in good condition, they were sold in those tubes, and they were under some high power lighting. The question is, should I still buy from them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't see why not. I bought a huge amount of dog from them today. I didn't even use half of it and 2 of my 3 tanks are filled with it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Many people have had success with plants in those Top Fin tissue culture packs. The positive is that each packs come with a lot of plants and they're all algae and snail free. The negative is that you might experience some initial die off as the plants transition from emmersed to submerged states (the severity depends on the species).

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Ive bought quite a few plants in those tubes and never had a problem

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should try their plants-in-a-bag version. They are my favorite plants to buy! Too bad most of the time the plants have completely turned to mush or have dried out. The Anubias Nana is a steal as you can get 2-3 for around $8. I also noticed that it has increased in price. Some plants are closer to the $10 range.

All of the plant packs contain a lot of plants (except the nana) but just make sure you buy a good pack. My favorite are the downoi, crypts and the lobelia cardinalis pack. They give you so much of the crypts that 1 pack should be enough to fill up a 10/20 G. Just make sure you separate them into individual plantlets.

They also have Limnophila heterophylla and hygrophila pinnatifida which is new to me.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:45 AM
Algae Grower

Two of my anubia are PetSmart TopFin tube plants. They've been tough as nails from the get go.

We've also bought the dry bulbs in the little pack. They sometimes have extras in them. Not all of them have grown, but that's probably a little bit them, a little bit us.

Make sure you're getting actual aquatic plants. We googled the names and found that not all of their plants are aquatic. Some are semi aquatic, and some are terrestrial. Mondo grass and monkey grass is very popular in Southern gardens. I never saw it growing in water.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've purchased the plants in the little packages with no success. It's a nice idea, but everything I've ever bought there just died off and never grew back. Their also expensive as all heck. Not worth it IMO
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
I've purchased the plants in the little packages with no success. It's a nice idea, but everything I've ever bought there just died off and never grew back. Their also expensive as all heck. Not worth it IMO
I've grown many w/o issue or die off. Right now I have C. Helferi thriving, no die back. I've grown DHG as well without any problems. You get a ton in those packs of DHG also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
You should try their plants-in-a-bag version. They are my favorite plants to buy! Too bad most of the time the plants have completely turned to mush or have dried out. The Anubias Nana is a steal as you can get 2-3 for around $8. I also noticed that it has increased in price. Some plants are closer to the $10 range.

All of the plant packs contain a lot of plants (except the nana) but just make sure you buy a good pack. My favorite are the downoi, crypts and the lobelia cardinalis pack. They give you so much of the crypts that 1 pack should be enough to fill up a 10/20 G. Just make sure you separate them into individual plantlets.

They also have Limnophila heterophylla and hygrophila pinnatifida which is new to me.
Funny, I just saw the L. Heterophylla and Pinnatifida Sunday. Scooped up the Limno and have it in the tank now. The pack I got had a lot of die back, probably an older pack, but a good portion of green in the bottom. I think I planted about 20 stems. We'll see how that one grows.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

I've had decent luck with petsmart plants. I have a monster of an anubias that came from there. Try one and see what you think and if it works go back for more. They are a little on the pricey side.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I buy plants that are in the plastic tubes all the time. when i don't feel like dealing with snails and things from the plant tanks. they do great as long as you get ones that are aquatic be careful some aren't.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
+1, be careful and know what you are buying... but otherwise they are OK if you lack other options, and are OK with the prices.

Also, be aware that some plants are subject to emersed leaf dieback, ie: amazon swords.. They'll slowly loose all their leaves and grow new ones when you put them into water, as these plants grow different leaf structures in/out of water.

I've got some anubias and windelov java ferns from those tubes.. My amazon swords from those tubes did OK for a while, but slowly died off after about 6 months, I think they got shaded by other plants taking over the tank.

I also have crypts that I started from their tissue culture packs.. those have really done very well.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Algae Grower

I have bought all of my plants from Petsmart, tank is only 2 months old but they seem to be doing well. The packages say snail free, but I would still rinse rinse rinse!! I've already had to pick a few small snails off the glass.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Algae Grower

I've had good luck with the emersed plants that come packaged with the clear gel. I bought a bunch of DHG and staurogyne repens, I think those plants have done better than 'normal' plants I bought

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode