Ok, here we Go (new 90gallon) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok, here we Go (new 90gallon)

Hey guys & gals,

I've been keeping aquariums for ~30 years now with varied levels of success since I was a toddler.

Most of my years in my youth a 65gallon and up till now a 55gallon.

I recently made a big stand for it here and accommodated it to fit a future upgrade to a bigger tank.

well I finally bit the bullet.

The old tank here is going out and the new tank will start soon.

I'm already using 2 Fluval canisters, a 406 and a 304 (which both have a bit too strong flow for the 55 but since upgrading the old 102 to the 406 water quality's been stellar)

I'm also using a Finnex Planted+ and a Finnex Monsterray. I will be adding a Planted+ 24/7 in 2 weeks. The front hooded Monsterray is being ventilated with a custom pc fan & psu setup with a couple 60mm silent vantec fans for extra (and also evaporative) cooling.

In addition to the above 2 Fluval filters I'm adding a Reverse UGF with 2 ~160gph powerheads with prefilters pushing water through from the bottom. The substrate will have (if not fitting below the plate crushed) old ceramic biorings blow it, then a layer of mixed Seachem Flourite & Tetra CompleteSubtrate between a nylon mesh to prevent it from mixing and my old Black gravel thoroughly washed on top.

My main questions are about Aquascaping and waterflow.

Me being born and raised in The Netherlands, love the dutch style aquascape with big groups of plants filling it up, but as you can see in my current 55gallon it completely hides the 2 driftwood pieces and 4 coconuts. I also bought 3 pieces of pretty big flat stone but I think I'll need to buy some more.

How do they fix a secure way to keep these flat stones upright like in this or this?

How should I direct the currents from the fluvals? backcenter to front-sides or back sides to center front or.. ?

Any other tips, experiences for setting up my hardscape/substrate?

Last edited by Lostfaith; 07-20-2015 at 07:16 AM. Reason: not 302, but 304 Doh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting - but what are your stocking plans ?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants: crypts, valisneria, amazon swords, water lilys, cabomba, bacopa, foxtail and a few more I don't know the name of.

Fish: not too many but something like rams, angels, leeri, loach, couple livebearers and some betta fry

(having a 4 10 gal filtered betta tanks here as well as a 15 gall growout raising some and giving others away.
2 brothers still live peacefully in the 55gall that were born in January, keeping an eye on 'em tho and no females).

Last edited by Lostfaith; 07-20-2015 at 05:30 AM. Reason: added betta bros pic, also how is that plant called?

Tags
aquascape ugf hardscape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode