So, uh 12 empty tanks, suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (1/100%)
So, uh 12 empty tanks, suggestions?

Just sold a bunch of shrimp, went to petco bought 20 longs and 40 breeders, 6 of each for $360, need some ideas on what to do with them, not really interested in making money, just having some fun, can any of you gurus explain this emerged/vivarium/arium whatever it is

Thanks Guys,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The really basic description of 'whatever you call it' is a tank that has only a small amount of water, some land, and a background that can act as a water fall.

There will be a pump in the system somewhere that pumps the water up behind the things so that it can trickle down the background and across the land.

Some aquarium plants will grow emersed, or in the water fall area, many house plants (small ones) will grow in the land.

You can look up pictures of:

Vivarium- usually not much water, often houses reptiles of amphibians that do not need much water. Damp, humid, more like a planted wall and land, with just enough water/pond to make sure the pump does not run dry.

Atrium- a room in a house, may be open to the sky, or roofed with clear or milky panels so that the effect is of an outdoor/enclosed garden. I have designed them for hot tub rooms, sitting areas, and as a room off the entry for growing tropical plants.

Riparium- Probably what you can do best with the tanks you have- somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 filled with water, an area of land (or not) and a wet background. I used a spraybar to evenly distribute water over a stacked rock background. I actually made my own, so the water does not really spray very far, just enough to direct it out over the top layer of rock.
I have also seen them in a brackish water set up, fish included Mudskippers. This was a roughly square tank (footprint) about 100 gallons.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do some fresh water puffer fish in one of your tanks you will not be disappointed with them make them planted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode