Snail Control? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Snail Control?

I am planning to get a planted tank, and I am worried about a snail issue, so what are some good fish that i can keep in a 55 gallon tank, that are passive and won't attack smaller fish that can also eat snails. I have heard of Loaches, but they get too big for my tank. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Assassin snails could potentially work and they would reproduce more based on your pest snail population.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
I am planning to get a planted tank, and I am worried about a snail issue, so what are some good fish that i can keep in a 55 gallon tank, that are passive and won't attack smaller fish that can also eat snails. I have heard of Loaches, but they get too big for my tank. Any suggestions?
In a properly maintained planted tank snail populations stay low and are not really much of an issue. You will get large population increases while the tank is getting established but they balance in time. Nothing to really worry about.

Loachs are probably your best bet if you can't stand them. Dwarf Chain Loaches (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki) stay small but need good current in the tank.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
You can also remove as many as possible from the beginning. Or, add Assasin snails early on in the set-up.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can let them be and they become an asset for crew cleaning. I bought some ramshorn yesterday to add to my pond and MTS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think you need to ask yourself what a "snail issue" is.

If you can't stand the sight of them, and you haven't even started yet, the easy route is to keep them from getting in the tank. There are literally hundreds of threads you can search on how to best treat plants for unwanted snails and their eggs.

If you fear your tank will be overrun by legions of snails, then simply take steps to maintain water quality and simply don't feed more than what your fish will consume in any single feeding. Over time, their numbers simple reflect their available food supply. Adding more fish and inverts to eliminate them only adds to the tank's bioload that already is stressed by uneaten food being processed. So that if you eliminate the snails your now left with the problem of uneaten food and more fish adding to the overall bioload.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Algae Grower

I had a snail nightmare on a low tech tank that didn't get the proper attention, so I know where your coming from.

However I haven't had a problem at all in a new setup after rinsing my plants and buying them from a tank without snails (ie a reputable, non-big box store or packaged). I still saw a couple sneak in from time to time but they never really reproduced and died off quickly without having taking any measures. With that said I would get the fish you like/want and worry less about a snail attack.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode