Can I hardscape my tank now? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I hardscape my tank now?

I have not ordered my plants yet(mostly moss).

Can I fill the tank with eco complete, water, and driftwood(boiled) now? Or would the water leach the nutrients out of the eco complete without any plants in the tank? Just wondering if I can design the tank a week or two prior to the plants coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'd say go for it and start cycling. Don't blast it with light for hours on end. Better off with no light until plants. Even if nutrients come out of the eco complete they'll still be in the water column, they're not going to go anywhere. Plus you said mostly moss, they'll be pulling nutrients from the water column anyway.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead2fall View Post
I'd say go for it and start cycling. Don't blast it with light for hours on end. Better off with no light until plants. Even if nutrients come out of the eco complete they'll still be in the water column, they're not going to go anywhere. Plus you said mostly moss, they'll be pulling nutrients from the water column anyway.
Just wondering, but what exactly happens in cycling? Do you need to cycle water that has been sititng in a bucket for a few days?(to evaporate the chlorine).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cycling is establishing the good bacteria colonies that take fish waste(ammonia) and convert it to nitrite. A second type of bacteria convert nitrite into nitrate which is safer for fish and food for plants.

There's tons of information on the forums about fishless cycling, search around!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmv4792 View Post
Just wondering, but what exactly happens in cycling? Do you need to cycle water that has been sititng in a bucket for a few days?(to evaporate the chlorine).
You need to read this:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post1960797

take the time - READ IT. This will save you a lot of heartache and dead fish

Cycling happens to your tank, not the water. Yes put the hardscape in, don't be in a hurry to get fish. The 'Cycling" is the nitrogen cycle - you are trying to grow beneficial bacteria on all the surfaces in the tank that will be part of your natural biological filter. This bacteria converts the ammonia in fish waste in something less poisonous.

Water doesn't cycle - some people 'age' their water, but you need a chemical additive to neutralize the chlorine. Why? Chlorine is already not good for fish (like drinking bleach) and when it combines with the ammonia that is going to be created in the water it makes something even more poisonous.

The whole idea is to turn very harmful substances into much less harmful ones that you then remove with regular water changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Agreed with above. Chlorine will gas out of water if you let it sit as you're already doing, however you have no way of knowing if it's all gassed out or not. Dechlorinator would be essential.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Appreciate the link, I'll get to reading.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
PS: Plant anytime you want! It's the fish that need a cycled tank

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
so you know, there are no nutrients in eco complete. it is an inert substrate that has the ability to store nutrients, but it itself does not contain any.

hardscape away

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
so you know, there are no nutrients in eco complete. it is an inert substrate that has the ability to store nutrients, but it itself does not contain any.

hardscape away
I'm confused. The label says it contains nutrients for plants.

By the way, can the bacteria that comes with eco complete be used to cycle the tank? Or do I still need to buy pure ammonia?

EDIT: Would "API Stress-Zyme" bacteria be good to get the bacteria started? I'm reading from the link that I could also take the filter cartridge used in another tank and just put it in the tank I'm cycling.

Last edited by jcmv4792; 07-17-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: add
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmv4792 View Post
I'm confused. The label says it contains nutrients for plants.

By the way, can the bacteria that comes with eco complete be used to cycle the tank? Or do I still need to buy pure ammonia?

EDIT: Would "API Stress-Zyme" bacteria be good to get the bacteria started? I'm reading from the link that I could also take the filter cartridge used in another tank and just put it in the tank I'm cycling.
don't concern yourself with any of the stuff they say is in it.

eco complete is a great substrate, I've been using it for years. the consensus is that it's just crushed lava rock. it has the ability to store a lot of nutrients, but it itself is not nutrient rich.

I've never worried about adding bacteria, they happen naturally. If you want, you can toss a little ammonia into the tank to get things started. Personally... I've always just let nature take its course, so to speak.

Once you get your plants in there, they'll come with the beneficial bacteria on them already and will help strengthen your tanks filtration abilities.

Don't over think it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode