Aquaclears for 55 gallon tank - Which one to go with - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquaclears for 55 gallon tank - Which one to go with

I'm reading some conflicting information on these filters. Some say 1 aquaclear 110 would be good for a 55, and others say running two ac 70's would be best.

Do you really need two filters for a 55 gallon? And if so, why use filters rated higher than the tank you are using? Would that not create too much or too strong water flow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Personally, it would probably be better running 2x AC 70s positioned on each end of the tank.

Often, you want to have filters that are larger turnover (about 10-20x GPH) than your tank in order to maximize filtration. The GPH measurements are often on baseline and proposed the power of the filter but as the filter gets clogged, you lose some flow.

Flow on the other hand can be adjusted and deflected in different ways.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
Personally, it would probably be better running 2x AC 70s positioned on each end of the tank.

Often, you want to have filters that are larger turnover (about 10-20x GPH) than your tank in order to maximize filtration. The GPH measurements are often on baseline and proposed the power of the filter but as the filter gets clogged, you lose some flow.

Flow on the other hand can be adjusted and deflected in different ways.

Ohh okay. With there being two filters on opposite sides, would the best place for a heater be in the middle back wall? Just wondering if it would be a waste to have the heater near the tube that sucks the water in since the water would be cooled on the way out.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use two AQ 110 on my 55 and they run great!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is actually the setup I am running on my 55 currently and it works just fine. 2 AC 70 filters, one on each side of the tank. Not too much flow. The aquaclear filters speeds are also adjustable.

And really it doesn't matter where you put the heater. It's gonna work the same anywhere in the tank.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Aquaclears for 55 gallon tank - Which one to go with

Two 70's work very well on 55. That's what I did before I switched to a canister. I had a 110 on there at one point but I think it was too much flow for such a narrow tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
This is actually the setup I am running on my 55 currently and it works just fine. 2 AC 70 filters, one on each side of the tank. Not too much flow. The aquaclear filters speeds are also adjustable.

And really it doesn't matter where you put the heater. It's gonna work the same anywhere in the tank.
Thanks. How do I know how much I need to adjust the power of the filter? Would putting both on the lowest setting be good?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There's no right or wrong. Two filter give you a measure of safety but aren't really necessary. If you have the money go with two filters if not the 110 will do.

Last edited by Clear Water; 07-17-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: 1
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I think filtration has more to do with inhabitants and stocking than tank size. Unless you have a Betta or other long finned fish that doesn't like current I would keep them at full flow. As mentioned they slow down tremendously as they clog

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I think filtration has more to do with inhabitants and stocking than tank size. Unless you have a Betta or other long finned fish that doesn't like current I would keep them at full flow. As mentioned they slow down tremendously as they clog
okay got it. Are neon tetras and shrimp okay with lots of flow?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmv4792 View Post
Ohh okay. With there being two filters on opposite sides, would the best place for a heater be in the middle back wall? Just wondering if it would be a waste to have the heater near the tube that sucks the water in since the water would be cooled on the way out.
Either spot should work for heater placement as it will push water around. You can either place it near the inlet of the filter or place it to a spot where there is high flow.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
Either spot should work for heater placement as it will push water around. You can either place it near the inlet of the filter or place it to a spot where there is high flow.
Is the inlet the place where water goes into the filter? Sorry, but I'm still catching up with all the terminology.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I ran an aquaclear 70 on my 55g after I moved it to a lower table that was too low to use the canister filter. Stuffed as much ceramic and bio media form the canister filter in the HOB and stuffed a foam pad from the canister on top to hold it the bio balls as such down. Cycled a sponge filter in the tank while the HOB ran for a few weeks then pulled the aquaclear70 off. My 55g is a riparium and packed full of plants on top so wanted the space back the HOB was taking. While it was on it was ok for filtration but for decent flow you'd need a power head of another Aquclear (i had mine on the right side wall, left side of the tank was kinda stagnant)

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Filtering a 55 G Tank

Hello jc...

Don't get talked into over filtering your tank. Filters aren't designed to keep the tank water clear of dissolved wastes, which is what will make the water unliveable for the fish and plants. I keep several 55 to 60 gallons tanks and the key to a healthy tank isn't high end filtration that's expensive, it's removing and replacing a lot of the water and doing this weekly. Water is cheap.

Hagen (Aquaclear) has a good product. An AC70 is plenty for a 55 gallon tank, you don't need more. You just need to follow an aggressive water change routine. This is the true filter, not the mechanical plastic box that hangs on the back. At best it's a good means of mixing oxygen into the tank water.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello jc...

Don't get talked into over filtering your tank. Filters aren't designed to keep the tank water clear of dissolved wastes, which is what will make the water unliveable for the fish and plants. I keep several 55 to 60 gallons tanks and the key to a healthy tank isn't high end filtration that's expensive, it's removing and replacing a lot of the water and doing this weekly. Water is cheap.

Hagen (Aquaclear) has a good product. An AC70 is plenty for a 55 gallon tank, you don't need more. You just need to follow an aggressive water change routine. This is the true filter, not the mechanical plastic box that hangs on the back. At best it's a good means of mixing oxygen into the tank water.

B

That's good to know. I was under the impression that planted tanks did not need that much water changes compared to non-planted tanks. How much water changes(and of what amounts) would I need for a 55 gallon with mainly moss?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode