SAFE PETRI DISH material to use in aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
SAFE PETRI DISH material to use in aquarium?

I'm looking to get safe petri dishes to use as feeder stations for my shrimp and other bottom feeders.
I know most will just say all are safe to use in the aquarium, but I always want to be extra sure, so I've been researching a bit. I might just be overthinking it, but then again there is conflicting information out there. Remember just because there are no instant noticeable side-effects does not mean it's not harmful.

I have seen most petri dishes are made out of plastic/acrylic, flint glass or borosilicate glass.
I have read plastic/acrylic ones will float in fish tanks so that is no good, plus I hear they release environmental estrogen (at least a problem with frog breeding).

Flint glass is said to be for unheated applications and so it's not very temperature resistant (I think it was mentioned to not use in anything over 70*F, which most aquariums get hotter than, not sure of the effects). And it's made from lead (not sure if that leaches though). Also I hear flint glass is not very chemical resistant (not sure how that is effected by the commonly used chemicals in the aquarium hobby)

Borosilicate/Corning glass seems to be ideal for aquarium use since it is very durable and chemical and temperature resistant. If I remember correctly, I read that Boron (which is what this glass contains) is also toxic (at least in high enough doses, not sure if this leaches either).

Now here's the thing, I was looking at some of the cheap eBay China glass petri dishes. I asked the seller what glass was used and I was told "neutral glass". Only thing I could find through a search was on a Borax website saying it was a pharmaceutical glass which can be engineered to have effects such as altering pH. But that was all I could find. That doesn't mean the ones for sale alter pH, but I don't know how temperature or chemical resistant it is or anything else (basically if it's aquarium safe).

I'm no expert, just did a little digging and hoping someone who does know more can offer some input. I'm not even sure if sellers of "purpose made" shrimp/fish feeding dishes, know what material the dishes they sell are made out of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
There are glass feeding dishes made specifically for this purpose. I believe you would likely find someone on this very site selling them in the for sale section (or at least thats where I got one a while back; but cant remember the person I purchased from). If I'm remembering correctly its pyrex glass.

Here is an acrylic one on amazon right now. Might be silly to make assumptions like this; but if an acrylic tank is no problem/danger to any livestock or plants I'd feel pretty safe using an acrylic dish like this too.

http://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Shrimp-Feeding-Dish-Aquarium/dp/B00KT39BYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437139243&sr=8-1&keywords=shrimp+feeding+dish&pebp=1437139239564&perid=1X7T9Q74BNZGK7TS3HYD

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Neither lead or boron glass will release contaminates into the water. They are used for scientific purposes because they are non-reactive.

You can also get a soda lime glass that will work well. These are a harder glass that takes washing & heating better. You can order these in on amazon for not that much.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Girlfriend had mini dishes for her little candles. Lookup Clear Glass Pillar Plates. About $1.50.

Cheers!

-PhilipS ><>

Mr50's, Killer Plants, Whiskey Pond

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode