Chemicals for planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Chemicals for planted tank?

Does one need to dose chemicals like API Stress Zyme and Stress coat in planted tanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Banned

PTrader: (1/100%)
It depends, those 2 products are for fish, not plants, I does both of them when I am shipping fish/shrimp though
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I dose Stress Zyme sometimes, but all this product does is introduce facultative bacteria that break down mulm and keep your gravel a bit cleaner. It does not provide bacteria that participate in the ammonia->nitrate cycle.

I don't use stress coat, but for the most part that's just a dechlorinator with some other stuff in it to bind polymers to their slime coat, which is IMHO not well proven to benefit fish, and potentially hazardous to fish. I use prime as a dechlorinator, and let my water quality stimulate the fish to produce a good slime coat on their own.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would eco-complete count as gravel? I guess it's not really necessary in this case?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use eco-complete, and consider it to be a form of gravel... Gravel based on small chunks of volcanic rock with little pores everywhere, but gravel none the less.

I don't think stress zyme is really necessary for any tank... it can be beneficial (IMO) for overstocked tanks... beware there's a lot of controversy over this product due to many folks reading a bit more into the MFG claims and expecting it to provide nitrifying bacteria... (They claim it helps the cycle, but only by breaking down stuff that gets in the way of biofilm forming on your filter.)

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode