Starting in the hobby - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting in the hobby

Hello! New to the site and the hobby. I guess I have a couple of questions and apologies if this is posted in the incorrect section.

I am going to be setting up a 25 gallon planted tank so I'll split the questions into two sections; fish and plants.

Fish:

I am planning on having:
  • 5 Jumbo Neon Tetras
  • 1 Angelfish
  • 1 Peacock Gudgeon
  • 1 Upside Down Catfish
  • 3 Marble Hatchets

Are there any foreseeable issues with those tank mates or the stocking of the tank?

Plants:

I am looking at having: Duckweed, Amazon Frogbits, Pigmy Chain Sword or Dwarf Hair Grass, Cryptocoryne undulata, and Cabomba caroliniana.

Also some driftwood and stone (Im still putting together the arrangement in my head). Would those plants grow well with the Aqueon Floramax Plant Growth bulb?

Again, I dont know much about the planted aquarium hobby and am very excited to get started!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd nix the angelfish, probably the gudgeon and the UD catfish too. Angelfish will want to have buddies to form a shoal, which they cant do alone, and would also eventually become cramped in a 25. The catfish would also prefer to have 3 - 4 buddies. The gudgeon can get nippy and would want buddies too. In general, it's not always great to have just one of any fish unless the specifically need to be alone due to aggresiveness towards conspecifics, like the male betta or other anabantoids, etc.

I'd do at least 6 - 7 of each the marble hatchets and/or the neons.

Plant-wise, I'd skip the duckweed. frogbit is a more attractive and less obnoxious plant if you're wanting a floater. your dwarf hairgrass will grow muuuuuuch slower w/ light being blocked out by floaters.

Not familiar w/ the light.

Anyways, welcome. seriouslyfish.com is a good resource for fish info. I like flowgrow.de for plant info. But there's lots of other good resources out there too. Have fun, your 1st tank will be a learning experience

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

How many and what types of bulbs do people usually use for a 20g?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

If I were to add cherry shrimp to the tank would they be prey to the Upside Down Catfish?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I spent the day setting up the tank. Any advice would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-18 19_1437262242250.28.58.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	497657  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode