3D printed aquariums? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
3D printed aquariums?

Has anything been done in this area? 3D printed acrylic tanks could be made with no silicone needed and made in any shape.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
would take a nice sized printer... i also think the way they work would leave lots of air bubbles in the plastic so it would look cloudy iv played with a few 3d printer there cool but the tech is still in its infancy i would lookin into the laser cure resin models not the plastic extruders
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think 3D printing can produce the clarity of an acrylic sheet or glass. 3D printing utilizes very fine strand of some type of plastic and basically draw strand by strand to create a 3D object. The process can create complex objects but they usually come out rough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Algae Grower

To me the aquarium would be difficult to 3d print with a high enough resolution to make clear viewing areas.

But I could see lots of applications related to the aquarium:

-3D print the back panel of the aquarium with little shelves, outcrops, and attachment points for plants & driftwood instead of building the elaborate backgrounds from foam and concrete.

-Make a custom floor insert that looks like a rock bottom stream with impressions in it for substrate and plants.

-Making decorations/hardscape that also function as bio filters. With 3d printing you can make shapes that are impossible to make with a mold. This could be useful for making large amounts of surface area on a special filter or inside an object.

-Combine the previous two ideas and you have an under-gravel filter that could function more like a canistor/HOB filter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

3D printing can do a ton of stuff for us! All those "quick fix" DIY components could be designed and manufactured in your own home. Right now the printers are still a bit expensive but I'm pretty it will go down to the $500 range.

Hey what about custom 3D printed driftwood? LOL You just have to paint it after. eheheh

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
3D printing can do a ton of stuff for us! All those "quick fix" DIY components could be designed and manufactured in your own home. Right now the printers are still a bit expensive but I'm pretty it will go down to the $500 range.

Hey what about custom 3D printed driftwood? LOL You just have to paint it after. eheheh
Thats the big thing. You need a custom overflow or return or some little part for some little thing, just custom 3D print it or download the plans from 3dprintedfish.com
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
3d printing can do amazing things, there is a company that specializes in rapid prototyping and plastic molding. .. They can make plastics models with their printers that look like they could be on a store shelf, accurate to the thousandth of inch. They also 3d print tool grade steel (lower grade but like a drill but strength) molds for small lot production. The only thing going against it, is the cost for designs and the cost for the printer

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
as someone with a 3d printer... this is a ridiculous idea.

currently speaking, you don't build acrylic tanks with silicone anyway; the sheets are fused together.

Further, it would take an astronomically long time to print out an aquarium of any suitable size. The amount of filament you'd need to produce something that'll hold water, like this, would more than likely go way beyond, in cost, to standard acrylic sheets.

It's really just not feasible, nor is this the sort of project that would be suitable for 3d printing.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm sure as the technology improves it will happen. I'll check again in a year or so.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was just thinking about this last night. How I'd love to have a 3d printed replica of the black marker from Dead Space to put in my tank haha
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
3D printing is a very expensive way to make anything in quantity. It is an excellent way to make one piece. As a production tool I doubt that it will ever work out, but as a hobbyist tool it is already a good choice.

Hoppy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
3D printing is a very expensive way to make anything in quantity. It is an excellent way to make one piece. As a production tool I doubt that it will ever work out, but as a hobbyist tool it is already a good choice.
To be fair, there are many 3d printers being used for final production... However those commercial grade printers are many thousands of dollars... 5-6 digits. Either way, 3d printing an aquarium isn't feasible.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode