Need an ID for a critter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need an ID for a critter

I found this thing in my aquarium this morning. No idea what it is. Curls up when I grabbed it with the tweezers. Doesn't swim, just stays on the bottom. Has a sucker mouth that looks almost like a Pleco. I almost want to say it looks like a MTS without it's shell, but I honestly have no idea what it could be. Any ideas? Just want to make sure it's not a parasite or anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150714_063901.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	496441  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Looks and sounds like a leech to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Leach...a parasite.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Algae Grower

could be a planaria, how big is it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (62/100%)
A common slug
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For reference of size, the container is plastic cup you drink from. I want to say it's probably close to an inch long, but I'm horrible with size estimation. You can also see a black fluorite pebble to the right. It kind of seems pretty large of a planaria based on me looking at google images. It does look like a slug, but are those aquatic? Something has also started recently eating away some of my plants (just the crypts and repens), but it started when I added my rams, so I assumed it was them.

It doesn't resemble any leech I've ever seen (or researched), and I figured I would see some teeth if it was. The color pattern though is peculiar. I thought I've been careful so far for watching for parasites with any fish I've added. I did inventory over all my fish, and didn't see anything hanging on. Mostly all tetras, and the biggest fish are some julli cories and a pair of german blue rams (the only fish I've added in the past few months).

If it is a leech, is there any steps I should take?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Planted Member

It's a leech. Most leeches are scavengers, not bloodsucking parasites, so it is probably harmless. They are nocturnal, so check your tank at night to see if you have more of them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As long as they don't harm my fish. I'll have to keep a closer eye on them. I have noticed the fish rubbing up against the DHG in the past few months, but I haven't noticed any damage or attached leeches yet. If they're harmless, then the more diversity, the better. I'll just have to get over the creep factor. I'm going to assume they are snail leeches. I was kind of wondering where my population of pond snails went to, as I can barely spot one now and algae on the glass has gone up. I guess I'll just have to up the water change frequency (or finish my immersed plant filter and javamoss refugium) and wait for the snail and leech population to stabilize. Hopefully they don't bother my nitrite snails.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode