Best spray-paint to use for background - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Best spray-paint to use for background

Anybody have any of the best kind of spray-paint to use for an aquarium background? I recently used a kind that was semi-gloss and find that the background now in water looks a bit strange. Kind of dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 07:01 AM
Dc5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I used Rustoleum Flat Black. Doesn't look too glossy and very nice for my taste.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
A rolled on latex paint will be easier to remove and probably be a little more resistant to scratching/chipping.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
It's about preferance. They all stick pretty good. I don't like the flat look so I went with Krylon Semi Gloss black on mine.

-Mikey G
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I ended up with an acrylic-based paint that I got off of Amazon. I'm sure you could find it in stores:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018NBUU2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
If you spraypaint it with Krylon Fusion then it is very painful to peel it off. Regular Krylon might be fine but DO NOT use the Fusion stuff for the back of your tank. Trust me. You literally have to SCRAPE it off because it is an oil-based paint and adheres quite well to the glass. If any part of it chips off you really can't get behind the tank to do 'touch ups'. I pained my ENTIRE 75 gallon satin black Krylon Fusion and it looked fantastic. Did a ton of coats. A week later a very small part got chipped off somehow so I tried to reapply. This COMPLETELY ruined the paint job as it peeled off even MORE paint and I was totally screwed.

I then had to take a razor blade glass scraper and scrape off all of the paint off of my entire tank. Then I tried to paint it with latex paint. I do not recommend latex paint as it peels off too easily and is more difficult to touch up IMO. I got about a quarter of the way done and ripped that off too.

THEN I tried the acrylic paint. I had to use a roller and carefully apply to the back of my tank while it was set up with like 4" of space to work with. At first it looked terrible but after a good 5+ coats it is a beautiful even black background that looks fantastic. The first few coats will kind of smear on the glass and not really stick. Once you get a decent base down you should be good to go. Once it dries and has a bunch of coats on it the paint looks great. Also, if some of it chips off simply apply a few coats to the bare spot and it will look good as new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
I used Krylon fusion. Hasn't peeled or cracked since I did it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I got the impression you meant spraying a foam background but I think most others thought you meant to paint the back glass. Which are you thinking of doing?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 08:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I used Krylon fusion. Hasn't peeled or cracked since I did it.
+1 awesome stuff.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I used Krylon Fushion on acrylic sheets I inseted in the tank to remove reflection as one of my bettas was a glass surfer (could see own reflection and constantly chased it). Worked out great-I let it cure 48 hours before putting in the tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Use painter's touch, roll it on with a little hot dog roller.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:30 AM
Algae Grower

I used a product called plasti-dip. If you don't like it you can just peel it off when it dries. It comes in a spray paint can and several different colors.

plastidip.com
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freude88 View Post
I used a product called plasti-dip. If you don't like it you can just peel it off when it dries. It comes in a spray paint can and several different colors.

plastidip.com
Does plasti-dip look textured or smooth when viewed through the aquarium?

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:38 AM
Algae Grower

I use plastidip on my 55, looks smooth
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
I raided my art supplies. 1 smeared coat of interference blue (golden, heavy body) followed by ivory black (liquitex maybe?). That particular tank has a ahhh..unique look. Others either have no background, or a commercial background. It was an experiment. May do that again to another tank.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use some left over tail light tinting spray and it worked out for me. Basically anything you can apply will work and last a fair amount of time. It is glass.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode