Help!! Fish Dying - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help!! Fish Dying

I have a 44g pentagonal tank with a satellite plus pro LED light. I am using a marineland penguin 350B HOB and an emperor 280 HOB filter. I also run a hagan mini elite powerhead to avoid any dead spots in the tank and I plan on using it as a diffuser for when CO2 is added. I currently have 6 red wag platies, 1 creamsicle molly, and 1 fancy guppy fry as well as a large population of pond snails, MTS, and a few nerites. These seem to be doing well, but anytime I try to add any more fish to the tank, they only live for approx 1 week or so before slowly dying off. I do not see any sign of disease on any of the fish before dying off. Also no gulping at the surface of the tank. I know that these tanks have a smaller surface area for gas exchange, but I would think that they can handle a higher fish load especially since I am over filtering. I run a bubble wand at night to help with O2 exchange and plan to introduce CO2 for the plants eventually. Tank is moderately planted and plants are doing well with dry ferts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Current tank parameters are

pH - 8.0
GH - 6
KH - 9
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 10-20

Some of the fish in the picture are no longer alive, just wanted to give a clear picture of the tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I probably should avoid words like weird etc when I ask where is the water from,
because I know it can vary enormously throughout the country.
My real question is if that is tap water from your location ?
The next question would be have you checked the water your getting from the store
with those fish in it ? Or is the water in your tank spring water ?
Best option would be that the fish came from a store which uses the same water as you do.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I use tap water treated with prime. The local fish store is less than 5 miles away and in the same city, so I assume the water there is close to what I have although I have never tested it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I probably should avoid words like weird etc when I ask where is the water from,
because I know it can vary enormously throughout the country.
What do you find weird in my water parameters? I am still trying to learn all the basics.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Perhaps not the best choice of words.
KH can be made higher by adding baking soda. That is recommended to people
who don't have one high enough. KH helps regulate PH. What I've read on here
as being optimum levels of KH/GH is 3/5. Fairly frequently someone on here is
asking how to raise it because theirs is lower than the level of 3.
It just struck me as a bit odd that yours was higher than the GH.
I read about this on here quite a bit but not such that the info has stuck in my mind
in any way that I can quote numbers/reasons/explanations without the likely chance
of misquoting some of it.
I think what is most important in this is that you probably have that same water in
your tank which is in the tanks of the fish shop. Fish can acclimate to lots of different levels of these parameters. They just don't get along well with it changing rapidly.
It really doesn't sound like low Oxygen levels either.
Perhaps next time you try to get any you might bring along one of those insulated
lunch containers to transport them in. They might be getting a temperature shock ?
Native fish can handle drastic/quick changes(and 3-4F degree difference is drastic
to them)much better than tropical fish can.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode