New Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Planted Tank

Hello everyone,

I am starting a new tank with in less then a month 100X50X50CM. And I've heard about the dry planting method, i would like if someone would kindly eleberate on the con's and Pro's of this method and if its a advisable against the conventional method?

My existing tank is 100X40X40CM's. and I'm using ADA Amazonia Substrate, Seachem Firts. and Co2, and I will use the same on the new tank either from the beginning if I choose to go conventional or at later stage if I go Dry first!
I did face some Algae issues at the beginning of the existing tank which more under control now since the tank is well established>

Many Thanks

Ahmed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well the pros and cons of dry starting are pretty simple.
Pros:
Since you are growing outside of water, there will be more ambient co2=faster growth. No tank full of water=no algae.

Cons:
Adjusting time! Since the plants will be going from being emersed to submerged, the plants may wilt a little and then bounce back with good co2 and lighting.
NOTE: When you first fill your tank after dry starting, RAMP UP THE CO2. Since the plants will be more used to being exposed to high Co2 while being "dry", you gotta put a ton in to the water when it is filled because there is less co2 in the water compared to ambient air.
GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by aquanauts; 07-13-2015 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Mistake
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great, thank you.

After some thinking it over during the day, I came to a decision of making a smaller tank first and watching the result till my big tank arrives. So I emptied my Shrimp tank (50x34x34CM) after transferring all my shrimps to another smaller tank for the time being and recaped it with Amazonia and some rocks and planted it with Monte Carlo and Cubba carpet plants. covered it with plastic and set the timer on. Hope it will work out and pave the way to the larger tank project.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode