substrate / liquid ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
substrate / liquid ferts

in general are people using substrate and liquid ferts or just one or the other in their hitech tanks? have been using both but running high kno3 in one of five tanks and suspect this might be the problem. thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
What's the problem you suspect?

Chris
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

suspect dosing both substrate and ei liquid ferts contributing to high nitrates in established planted hitech 55 gallon.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I do both root tabs and EI in the water column. Tanks are high tech, so you WC weekly. This will reset the tank. Testing may not be necessary. Are seeing any issues with the high NO3?Please list all your tank parameters so others can assist you better.

Chris
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you have a dirt sub and it's not finished leaching ammonia then that will be converted to nitrates. Osmocote+ sometimes raises nitrates.
But if you are using K2SO4 as part of your dosing(or just get some) you can use it instead of the KNO3 and that will lower the nitrates.
I had to test the percent to get it right. The calculator told me that I needed to use 1/8
tsp of the KNO3 in each dose. I got a red test with that. I test for nitrates till I get it right and then don't test but once a month after that. But I test just before the water change. I went/w 1/32 tsp KNO3 and 1/16 tsp K2SO4(just to keep it easy) and this gives me a yellow test result.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

nitrates @ 60 ppm consistently. phosphates @ 5 ppm. substrate is eco complete. using aquarium plants.com 'total' pellets every 3 by 3" area at max suggested frequency every 30 days. cascade 1500 canister and powerhead. all plants move in current. religious 50% weekly water changes. aquarium is @ 85% bioload according to aquavisor.am generally interested in determining if hitech standard practice is dosing both substrate and liquid ferts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

cut ei nitrate dosing back to 5 ppm yesterday. im trying to determine the source of high nitrates whether overfeeding or over fertilizing or something else. just wanted to confirm that most people are using both liquid and substrate ferts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
I use both, but root ferts can definitely leech into the water column affecting other parameters. Never used the Total Pellets so cant really comment on how they do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you are at 80% bio load then you may not need to dose any KNo3 at all, or possibly any ferts if you feed a lot. Having a high bio load makes dosing more challenging because you are getting so much of each fert from food/waste. I also think that the amount of nitrate that shows up from dosing is less harmful to fish and more available to plants than that which comes from waste but I have no proof of that. Just my own limited observation but with a high bio load I had more problems getting the balance right.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 04:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Is there any problem other than a test telling you that something is wrong?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=83545

Calibrate the test kit.

If there are 3 sources of nitrogen (fish food, substrate tablets, water column dosing) you cannot tell which source contributed which molecules of NO3.
Simplest is to reduce whatever nitrogen you can.

Stop dosing and see if the NO3 drops or stays stable.
Reduce the fish food.

You can also increase the removal- Improve conditions for the plants, so they use more N, and do more water changes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode