Any heavily planted setups in HARD water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
Any heavily planted setups in HARD water?

I moved recently and my new water is very hard. I tried a heavily planted setup briefly, but everything seemed to melt away; including a beautfiul stand of R. Macrandra I had which melted away in 45 minutes I ended up converting that tank to a planted cichlid tank focusing on tougher plants. I have a 10G that I am able to provide with 4 WPG and CO2. I have a sand substrate that I want to keep. My water parameters are gH 8 and kH 16.

1. Anyone have heavily planted setups with similar water parameters?
2. What have you been growing in this water?
3. Do you have a sand substrate and how well do plants grow in it? This question applies to softwater tanks also.

Regards,
Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

48G Rimless Mr Aqua
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

37G Oceanic "Cube"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 03:38 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i have very hard water also and i havent really tried heavily planted tanks but i have had dawarf lily ulvaceus bulbs, anacharis, anubias, java moss, java fern, and amazon sword in a 10 gallon with 20 watts of 6500K lights, but thats about all i tried in it. And my subtrate the whole time was sand. HTH
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Here's a link to my planted 40g. My water is ~12dKH and ~20dGH. I've had R. Magenta (which reportedly need soft-med hard water) totally melt on me. I've also had growth issues with Didiplis diandra and Ludwigia 'cuba' being unable to sustain new growth. But what I have gotten to grow, grows well.

óBill

|

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Water here in New Orleans is definitely hard, I cannot give you the exact parameters but a friend said his hardness measuring kit could not even measure it. I had trouble at first but now am doing pretty well. Sag subulata, Java fern, Java moss, hornwort, Anubias, Cryptocoryne ciliata all do well but most swords do not like ithe water. I use pea gravel, nothing fancy. Always use rain water to replace water lost to evaporation, and if you cxan dilute the tap water with rain water when you set up. Easier to do in New Orleans than in California, I know...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Saw the new member and had to say "Hello"!

Love the name too, mosasaur! I actually found a real mosasaur tooth while fossil hunting today!

Sorry to go off topic, back to the hard water thread!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 PM

My water is actually harder than your current parameters: gh:14 kh:15. I dont seem to have a lot of trouble with too many plants (with eusteralis stellata, rotala magenta, and didiplis diandra being the exceptions). Generally plants seem happy....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Supposedly vals and anubias like hard water. Have you tried either of those yet?

You could also go the rainwater route, assuming a couple things. One - that you live in a relatively rural area and Two - that you get enough rain every year.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Could you add a water softening pillow (don't know which brand) or some peat?

Re-boot!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 12:02 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
Could you add a water softening pillow (don't know which brand) or some peat?
More along the lines of what I was thinking. Relying on rain and other precipitous things is too unpredictable.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Water softener chemicals do not change the amount of dissolved solids - they merely exchange one cation for another. The resulting water is good if you are trying to make a lather but otherwise forget it. If you want to get really serious, you can get a reverse osmosis machine for a reliable supply of demineralized water. No more than a storebought CO2 machine, I would guess.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 02:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have a KH of 9 in one of my tanks and I have been growing Tiger lotus, WaterSprite, Ludwigia, Dwarf Sag., which are doing well.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 07:31 AM

I love posting this pic..............

Where I live, we have very hard water at 8.5 ph! So all I did was add driftwood. There were two reasons:

1)IMO, driftwood makes planted tanks look awesome
2)It softens the water and lowers ph naturally

The catch? Without taking the right step (soaking it in water, boiling, etc...) some types of driftwood wont sink right away, and most will stain your water a dark red or amber color and that kills the light in your tank. Honestly though, I didn't do any of that stuff for my driftwood, I just stuck it in there and I didn't have probelms with floating (it's malaysian driftwood). My water started turning amber, but the weekly 50% water changes take care of that problem, and here is what my 10g nano tank looks like:

The plants have grown in a lot since this photo was taken, but you get the general idea right?

Heres what I have in there:
Sunset Hygro
Ludwigia Repens
Java Moss
Water Sprite
Wisteria (still small, behind the Dwood)
Cabomba
Ambulia
Dwarf Chain sword (2 runners since this pic! woohoo)
Corkscrew Val (1 runner since pic )
Tiger Lotus
Bacopa Monineri sp? (moneywort)
Rotala Rotundifolia
Rotala Indica
Bananna Plant
Cardamine
Anacharis
Dwarf Hair Grass
Ozelot Sword
2 diff anubias, or crypts (unsure, I got them from sparkysko, who I recently bought an 80g tank from, they're still babies, lol)

As you can see from the pic, this is all being grown in plain gravel, with just a dose of "leaf zone" once every couple of weeks, 2wpg, no need for co2. It's crowded so I gotta stay on top of trimming since most of these plants are fast growers and shade themselves and other plants. But all of them are growing good, except the rotala rotundifolia (my ottos have trouble squeezing in there to get the algae off the lower leaves). If I post an updated pic, you'd see how much more pink the sunset hygro has gotten.

Sorry for this long a** post, but I thought that my setup could help you out a lot. HTH, and good luck with your tank. (Feel free to PM me if you have more questions)

Serg

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode