Petsmart $1 per gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Petsmart $1 per gallon

So looks like Petsmart is following PetCo's lead on $1 per gallon Aqueon tanks - just 10, 20 and 40 gallons

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/cat-36-catid-300000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Planted Member

Very cool! Petco $1 per gallon sale tanks are Tetra brand now . Very thin glass and every panel is tempered which is ridiculously stupid. Guess I'm headed to petsmart.

"One generation plants the tree, the next generation gets the shade"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Petco is Aqueon/All Glass this time. Some stores still have the tetra tanks but alot have the new aqueon tanks.

-DAN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplus View Post
Very cool! Petco $1 per gallon sale tanks are Tetra brand now . Very thin glass and every panel is tempered which is ridiculously stupid. Guess I'm headed to petsmart.
I thought tempered meant the glass would be stronger to make up for the thinner glass, right? What kind of adverse effects does it have?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:54 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecFish View Post
I thought tempered meant the glass would be stronger to make up for the thinner glass, right? What kind of adverse effects does it have?
Tank wants to break? Here's all the water and fish on the floor instantly.
Tempered shatters into millions of pieces.
Yes it is stronger.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 04:24 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecFish View Post
Tetra has very thin glass panels, along with half-decent silicone jobs all over. The Aqueon I picked up has almost double the thickness in glass and silicone.

It's funny how Petsmart follows Petco, probably due to them loosing business due to the tank sales. Wonder if they will follow the lead and do the fish sales as well in August.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 05:40 AM
Planted Member

My petco had both tetra and aqueon 40b's and looking at them side by side the aqueon is clearly a better product. Thicker and what looks like better quality glass as well as much better silicone work were the most obvious things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I just went to PetSmart and Petco last night. My PetSmart didn't have the tanks on sale yet (didn't look at their ads and not signed up for newsletter). Petco did have the sale, I saw Tetra and Aqueon brands there.

I compared two different (4 total) Tetra and Aqueon 10 gallon tanks and the glass thickness was the same, Tetra looked tempered (darker green tint to glass), Aqueon had better and thicker plastic framing, silicone job on both brands were a bit on the sloppy side. I would pick Aqueon between the two. I only compared the 10 gallons (looking to start another shrimp tank), so I can't say if the larger tanks are of better/worse quality.

Remember they are "open top tanks", meaning no lids. Can anyone recommend good, cheap lids?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Algae Grower

I saw that at Petsmart too. Only limited to 40b. But had a nice stock. Also Petco is doing their sale right now too.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I was looking at one of the 40B tanks and Petsmart last night and it actually looked kind of sloppily done for being an Aqueon tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Remember they are "open top tanks", meaning no lids. Can anyone recommend good, cheap lids?
DrFostersandSmith has Marineland brand glass canopies on sale right now for 20% off... the 40B one is 23.99

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3781
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplus View Post
That is false. I have posted on this forum which tanks have tempered before but basically the 55 is all tempered, the 40B is bottom tempered only. The rest are regular glass.

Bump:
Quote:
I just went to PetSmart and Petco last night. My PetSmart didn't have the tanks on sale yet (didn't look at their ads and not signed up for newsletter). Petco did have the sale, I saw Tetra and Aqueon brands there.

I compared two different (4 total) Tetra and Aqueon 10 gallon tanks and the glass thickness was the same, Tetra looked tempered (darker green tint to glass), Aqueon had better and thicker plastic framing, silicone job on both brands were a bit on the sloppy side. I would pick Aqueon between the two. I only compared the 10 gallons (looking to start another shrimp tank), so I can't say if the larger tanks are of better/worse quality.

I bought some 10s a 29 and some 20s to cut down for my lids. Cheap glass.
My findings on the thickness of glass panels is the same however. Aqueon or Tetra the glass is about the same. One day maybe I'll put a mike to it.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
When does this sale end?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 02:40 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
That is false. I have posted on this forum which tanks have tempered before but basically the 55 is all tempered, the 40B is bottom tempered only. The rest are regular glass.

Bump:

I bought some 10s a 29 and some 20s to cut down for my lids. Cheap glass.
My findings on the thickness of glass panels is the same however. Aqueon or Tetra the glass is about the same. One day maybe I'll put a mike to it.
Sorry, I was referring to the 55g tetra I bought then returned when I read the "all panels tempered do not drill sticker". I should have stated I was talking about tetra 55g's. Either way, I wouldn't but any tetra tank over an Aqueon. My local petco doesn't stock any Aqueon tanks anymore.

Bump:
Quote:

Dr's foster and smith had the cheapest lids I could find. I bought a set for my 55g recently. Good quality Aqueon lids, pretty cheap!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3790

"One generation plants the tree, the next generation gets the shade"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode