Invasive wildlife/vegetation - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa
Posts: 284
Invasive wildlife/vegetation

I have a friend who works for the fish and game commission of my state that happened to be at my home when I was doing water changes and filter cleaning. He reminded me of something very important that I thought I'd share. Given our hobby we have species of plants and aquatic life from allover the world. Some of these could wreak havoc on our local ecosystems if introduced. Always be careful of what's going down the drain. The moss, plant stems, or snails etc. could make it's way into a waterway and become a huge problem if it doesn't belong.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Corbett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 03:22 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (45/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,269
This is exactly why I dispose of all my tanks water in the yard. I use the excess water to water the desert plants in my yard and there is no way any aquatic plants are going to live in 115 degree weather.
Couesfanatic is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Zoomy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: West MI
Posts: 475
I've often wondered if pond/bladder snails can survive water treatment plants. Those stupid things seem to flourish inside the pitch black depths of my canister filter, somehow.

Deep Blue Professional 50g
Current USA Satellite+ Pro LEDs (24 & 36")
Fluval 406 filter
CO2Art Advance Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage
Hydor Koralia Circ Pump - 425gph x2
DBP 20g long - low tech
Zoomy is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomy View Post
I've often wondered if pond/bladder snails can survive water treatment plants. Those stupid things seem to flourish inside the pitch black depths of my canister filter, somehow.

People always think about water treatment, chlorine so on but the reality is in most areas during severe rains which seem to be the norm this summer raw sewage often overflows into lakes and rivers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Corbett is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa
Posts: 284
Hydrilla has been a big problem in several lakes here in Pennsylvania for example. If they don't keep removing and trying to kill it the entire lake starts to fill in with it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Corbett is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:17 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,224
Thank you for this reminder! It is certainly a responsibility of ours to be vigilant in our practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
This is exactly why I dispose of all my tanks water in the yard. I use the excess water to water...
I do the same. I also add any mulm(including snails/duckweed) left in my buckets in with my MTS(mineralized topsoil) container. And I dry and bag plant matter and throw it out if it doesn't also go into my MTS container.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
HDBenson is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa
Posts: 284
Ever notice dumping your water changes in the yard makes the spot you do it super healthy lol?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Corbett is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 06:04 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Corbett View Post
Ever notice dumping your water changes in the yard makes the spot you do it super healthy lol?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ALL my potted plants get waterchange water except the bromeliads. They get distilled water and rain, lol. But, NPK + Micros in the tank water = happy house yard/plants. I tell my mom all the time she needs a tank JUST to water her house plants. She doesn't get it.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
HDBenson is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBenson View Post
ALL my potted plants get waterchange water except the bromeliads. They get distilled water and rain, lol. But, NPK + Micros in the tank water = happy house yard/plants. I tell my mom all the time she needs a tank JUST to water her house plants. She doesn't get it.

I do the same thing. My bonsai tree is amazing because of water change water.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Corbett is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 07:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
ichthyogeek's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Corbett View Post
Ever notice dumping your water changes in the yard makes the spot you do it super healthy lol?
I think that's the reason why my mom's rose bushes are so rosy.

OP, your post really does hit home. Not only does the dumping of plants, shrimp, snails, etc. affect us by reducing the variety of plants/fish we can legally have (like water hyacinth, snakehead and piranhas are illegal in Arkansas), but it also wreaks havoc on the environment when new alien species are introduced into the environment as well, like lampreys and zebra mussels in the Great Lakes.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
ichthyogeek is online now  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa
Posts: 284
Invasive wildlife/vegetation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
I think that's the reason why my mom's rose bushes are so rosy.



OP, your post really does hit home. Not only does the dumping of plants, shrimp, snails, etc. affect us by reducing the variety of plants/fish we can legally have (like water hyacinth, snakehead and piranhas are illegal in Arkansas), but it also wreaks havoc on the environment when new alien species are introduced into the environment as well, like lampreys and zebra mussels in the Great Lakes.

I visit Erie quit often and Goby are another. You're exactly right though. The next step is regulation saying we can't this plant or that fish. That's how it always ends.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Corbett is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: India
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Corbett View Post
I have a friend who works for the fish and game commission of my state that happened to be at my home when I was doing water changes and filter cleaning. He reminded me of something very important that I thought I'd share. Given our hobby we have species of plants and aquatic life from allover the world. Some of these could wreak havoc on our local ecosystems if introduced. Always be careful of what's going down the drain. The moss, plant stems, or snails etc. could make it's way into a waterway and become a huge problem if it doesn't belong.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True! This is a big problem across the world. In India the water ways have 3 spot gouramis, angelfish, the common livebearers. Plecos too have become a big nuisance.

The Betta wikipedia page states that Bettas have become a nuisance in Adelaide river in Australia. I find that a bit hard to digest because they seem so delicate especially in the presence of larger fishes.

I suspect Java moss must have become a big problem somewhere!
Avianwing is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
jasa73's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 480
A great point and reminder to everyone. I remember a couple years ago someone from the southern US posted asking if it was okay to release their guppies into the wild! SMH.
jasa73 is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Zoomy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: West MI
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
OP, your post really does hit home. Not only does the dumping of plants, shrimp, snails, etc. affect us by reducing the variety of plants/fish we can legally have (like water hyacinth, snakehead and piranhas are illegal in Arkansas), but it also wreaks havoc on the environment when new alien species are introduced into the environment as well, like lampreys and zebra mussels in the Great Lakes.
To be fair, those particular Great Lakes species hitched rides in ship bilge tanks coming from the St. Lawrence Seaway. To the best of my knowledge they weren't introduced by hobbyists or other random people.

Deep Blue Professional 50g
Current USA Satellite+ Pro LEDs (24 & 36")
Fluval 406 filter
CO2Art Advance Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage
Hydor Koralia Circ Pump - 425gph x2
DBP 20g long - low tech
Zoomy is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pa
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomy View Post
To be fair, those particular Great Lakes species hitched rides in ship bilge tanks coming from the St. Lawrence Seaway. To the best of my knowledge they weren't introduced by hobbyists or other random people.

Oh I know most are caused by watercraft but hobbyists do their part also. Piranhas and Caiman are a good example.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donald Corbett is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome