Suraface agitation and HOB's - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suraface agitation and HOB's

I switched from a standard Aqueon HOB filter for my planted tank to a nice Fluval C series.
The surface agitation has reduced so drastically that the surface has started to slick and the Co2 sometime stays under the surface.
I have also notice much more detritus since this change.
Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
On the Walstad tanks the detritus is use/allowed to stay but since I didn't read the book
I don't know to what extent. It supposedly breaks down and gets into the sub and is part of the natural fertilizer. So I allow it mostly in my tanks except for right along the front. Can't say it helps or hurts though.
I've heard this build up issue in a few cases where people changed from HOB to canister
and it's partially at least from that flow of the HOB that went down and stirred up that
detritus from the bottom which made it easier for the filter to remove being done away/w by the canister.
Your oil slick can be less/removed if you angle the outflow of the filter up more so
it does agitate the surface more. You also can remove some by using the water
change siphon close to the bottom each time you change water.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your Tank

Hello ben...

Add a small air stone attached to an air pump to increase the surface movement. As for the increase in the organic material at the bottom, you'll need adopt a more aggressive water change routine. Work up to the point you're removing and replacing at least half the tank water every week, no slacking. The organic material that settles to the bottom will dissolve in the water. When you remove the water you remove what has dissolved in it.

It's all about the water. Keep the water clear of dissolved wastes with large, frequent water changes and you'll have few, if any tank problems.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
It sounds like the new filter isnt as efficient as the old one to me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Planted Member

I run an Aqueon HOB on my 10 gallon and I removed the insert that aerates the surface because I hate the noise. Its been running like this for 6 months and the fish are fine. on my 75 I placed the spray bar near the top so that it just slightly agitates the surface but makes no noise (doesn't break the surface) with my Ehiem Professional 3 2075. None of my tanks have air stones and the 75 is slightly overstocked. My fish are very healthy and thriving so I don't think an air pump/stone is needed.

75 gallon planted low tech
10 gallon quarantine planted low tech
5 gallon planted (sons) low tech
Plant heavily, fertilize well, stock lightly, change water weekly, and most importantly do not use too much light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My new filter is a five stage, the old one was just the 1 or two stage. Are the stage slowing the flow?
This is the model.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23671
I have a 36 gallon tank and the one I bought is good for 50.
Has anyone taken apart one of these and removed un-needed stages?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
So, I have an aqueon 36 bow as well, in it came with a Quietflow 30, which i use in conjunction with a C4 (larger version of the C3 you use). Yes, I use both filters at the same time (what me, overfilter??)

Personally, I find the C series to be substantially more efficient than the quietflows, but they also have lower flow rate for a given tank rating...

The quiteflow 30 is a low efficiency filter (carbon and floss, with a section of wet/dry biopins), with 200 GPH of flow.
The C3 is a more efficient filter (sponge, floss, carbon, 2 wet/dry bio stages), with 153-80 GPH (adjustable) of flow.

Both are MFG rated for a 50 gallon tank, although going by the rule-of-thumb that the actual capacity is about 65% of what the MFG states, both are only suited to a 32.5 gallon tank.

The quietflow basically uses higher flow rates to make up for its lower efficiency.. ie: it will run the water through the filter more often to make up for its lower catch rate per pass through the filter.

So, the water that goes through the C3 is likely coming out cleaner than the quietflow, but it is going to churn your tank up less..

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have a small power head and an air pump, not in use. Would either of these help with the dead spots or the increased detritus? Without harming the plants or fish?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sure... either will increase flow, and both should be safe.

The only problem would be is if the powerhead is something very powerful... sticking a 1000GPH powerhead into a 36 bowfront is going to result in your plants and fish being blown all over the place in the resulting currents....

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have a 29 gallon biocube that was given to me. It came with a 250 GPH power head. Would using this one be too much? Should I put in near my CO2? Or somewhere else?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh, and the bba started after the filter change. That's why I fear dead spots.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Try several positions of the PH.
You are looking for a spot that stirs up the debris, gets it moving toward the filter intake. It might work to aim it at one end to hit the glass and be deflected down ward.

Another option is to add a sponge intake to the PH. This will act like another filter, and will have to be cleaned often. The sponge might slow the PH some, but each time you clean it the PH will be back up to full speed, so make sure it is in a good location.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I haven't put in the powerhead yet...
I may play with it this week. If any of my plants reach the surface, it seems as though I get slick scummy surface around it. like it help to create a dead spot. I get so little surface movement with my new filter. I have a fully planted tank and I do Co2.
Should I be worrying about these issues?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode