Used Equipment - Is This a Good Deal? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 22
Question Used Equipment - Is This a Good Deal?

Hello,
Serious newbie here.

I have recently bought my first aquarium (TopFin 10gal Starter kit), however I quickly realized that the kit comes with really poor equipment (poor filter, heater and lighting). Since I need another tank for hospital/QT/snail breeding, I thought I would kill two birds with one stone and pick up some better equipment at the same time.

I found an ad on my local used classified site and I just want to know what your educated opinions are:

For $45(CAN) the seller is including a 10gal tank, lots of live java fern, a fish hideout, a Hydor 100w heater, a filter (unknown make/model), a lid with screw in bulb capability (which I don't have) and gravel.

Assuming that everything is in good working condition, is this a good deal or should I pass?

Thank you!
(apologies if this is in the wrong category)
deltaphi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lksdrinker's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY; LETS GO METS
Posts: 1,916
I suppose it really depends on how quickly you need a tank. Thats not an awful deal but there are certainly better deals to be had.

General rule of thumb for most "standard" tanks (ie has a rim, glass not acrylic, not some unique custom made size, etc) is $1/gallon as thats about the best you can buy one new when the chain stores run their sales. So a used 10 gallon tank should really never cost more than $10 (and thats on the high end).

Java fern is pretty cheap and easy to grow so its not saying much to get that in the deal.

The hydor 100 w heater goes for $20 new on amazon right now.

The lid is nothing much; and most "screw in bulb" fixtures are rather old. By todays standards they are a bit outdated; but plenty of people can grow plants using a CFL bulb in one of those.

So I guess the filter is really what'll make or break this deal. Chances are its a generic hang on back filter. So it'll work for its intended purpose.....but probably wont perform any better than the cheapest filter you could find new in a store.

Keep doing your research and keep searching for deals and you'll get a good idea of what is a great deal vs. a just ok deal vs. a really bad deal.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
lksdrinker is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
I suppose it really depends on how quickly you need a tank. Thats not an awful deal but there are certainly better deals to be had.

General rule of thumb for most "standard" tanks (ie has a rim, glass not acrylic, not some unique custom made size, etc) is $1/gallon as thats about the best you can buy one new when the chain stores run their sales. So a used 10 gallon tank should really never cost more than $10 (and thats on the high end).

Java fern is pretty cheap and easy to grow so its not saying much to get that in the deal.

The hydor 100 w heater goes for $20 new on amazon right now.

The lid is nothing much; and most "screw in bulb" fixtures are rather old. By todays standards they are a bit outdated; but plenty of people can grow plants using a CFL bulb in one of those.

So I guess the filter is really what'll make or break this deal. Chances are its a generic hang on back filter. So it'll work for its intended purpose.....but probably wont perform any better than the cheapest filter you could find new in a store.

Keep doing your research and keep searching for deals and you'll get a good idea of what is a great deal vs. a just ok deal vs. a really bad deal.
Thanks for your reply lksdrinker.
I'm going to drop by tonight and see what the filter is.
Also, this is in CAN currency, so that heater is about $30 on amazon.ca
I thought that the lid would be a step up because I could customize lighting?
Everywhere I looked for aquarium hoods (aquarium needs to stay covered), they were CRAZY expensive so I thought this would be a good deal. If they're outdated, what kind of setup should I be going for?
(keeping in mind that I have a low-tech, low light plant setup at the moment and anything would be a step-up from the 0.18wpg LED strip I have going on right now...)
deltaphi is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: british columbia
Posts: 174
Not really about that stuff, but when buying online it's worth it to check amazon.com vs amazon.ca as lots of the items will ship to Canada, and even with import fees often end up cheaper than buying from Canadian stores/amazon.ca, there is also some brands available there that aren't here.

I do a lot of my aquarium equipment shopping on amazon.com/from american sellers.

Good luck with your aquarium set up!
xmpjx is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lksdrinker's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY; LETS GO METS
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaphi View Post
Thanks for your reply lksdrinker.
I'm going to drop by tonight and see what the filter is.
Also, this is in CAN currency, so that heater is about $30 on amazon.ca
I thought that the lid would be a step up because I could customize lighting?
Everywhere I looked for aquarium hoods (aquarium needs to stay covered), they were CRAZY expensive so I thought this would be a good deal. If they're outdated, what kind of setup should I be going for?
(keeping in mind that I have a low-tech, low light plant setup at the moment and anything would be a step-up from the 0.18wpg LED strip I have going on right now...)
Dont worry so much about watts per gallon as that really wont tell you much. Seems the new craze is to measure using PAR....which is impossible without a fancy PAR meter! But the correct spectrum is really whats important. To grow plants you want to be on the lower end of the spectrum (~6500 K and lower vs say 10000K which is intended to grow corals).

You can always "customize" lighting if you're willing to do some work. But if thats the case then you probably dont need to worry so much about a "hood" as you just need a glass lid (like this or similar....http://www.petsmart.com/fish/lightin...pfm%3Dcategory).

Then I would likely go with an LED fixture of some sort right on top of that lid. Something like a Finnex stingray should probably keep you in the low light/low tech arena. But there are TONS of options in that regard. Plenty of good info over in the lighting section of this form; and plenty of other sources as well.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
lksdrinker is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmpjx View Post
Not really about that stuff, but when buying online it's worth it to check amazon.com vs amazon.ca as lots of the items will ship to Canada, and even with import fees often end up cheaper than buying from Canadian stores/amazon.ca, there is also some brands available there that aren't here.

I do a lot of my aquarium equipment shopping on amazon.com/from american sellers.

Good luck with your aquarium set up!
Cool, good to know. I'll do some digging.

PS: Always nice to see someone else from BC! (I hope you're safe from all the fires!)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Dont worry so much about watts per gallon as that really wont tell you much. Seems the new craze is to measure using PAR....which is impossible without a fancy PAR meter! But the correct spectrum is really whats important. To grow plants you want to be on the lower end of the spectrum (~6500 K and lower vs say 10000K which is intended to grow corals).

You can always "customize" lighting if you're willing to do some work. But if thats the case then you probably dont need to worry so much about a "hood" as you just need a glass lid (like this or similar....http://www.petsmart.com/fish/lightin...pfm%3Dcategory).

Then I would likely go with an LED fixture of some sort right on top of that lid. Something like a Finnex stingray should probably keep you in the low light/low tech arena. But there are TONS of options in that regard. Plenty of good info over in the lighting section of this form; and plenty of other sources as well.
Yeah, I was trying to avoid adding all kinds of fancy additions because I'm a little pressed for space, but I will do some digging into the lighting forum. Thanks for your help!
deltaphi is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:50 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: british columbia
Posts: 174
So far we're safe, hope you are too! definitely smokey though, not as bad as some other areas yet. Haha yes, it is good to see others from BC on here!

Oh, and finnex LEDs are not on Canadian amazon (if you choose to look into them)

Again, good luck, and stay safe.
xmpjx is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,012
I would offer $20 for that tank and equipment - used equipment sells for far less than the new price. Then I would be ready to settle for $30 max, preferably $25. Used equipment sales are always negotiated, not fixed price, even if the seller insists on a fixed price.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: the desert
Posts: 541
I agree. And in this case the old fixture is actually a good thing because you can get a screw in compact fluorescent bulb. Usually those old 10 gallon hoods had two bulbs so that will light up really well for that small tank. If the glass is scratched you can replace the tank itself for $10 when Petco has their $1 a gallon sale.
keymastr is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome