Them walmart bulbs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Them walmart bulbs

Anyone with access to a walmart has probably seen these little duds they sell in the fish section. Lily bulbs and Aponogeton bulbs. Anyone curious enough to buy them knows that they rarely sprout anything but mold. However, with much patients I know quite a few people who've managed to find a few growers.

Let us discuss them and share pics of our little survivors.

Right now I have 1 lily and one aponogeton in the 10gal that i've had for 3 years. The lily has always maintained nice bushy growth and the aponogeton went dormant for about 7 months. I recently added liquid and cap ferts and now the lily has exploded and gotten huge with pads everwhere and the aponogeton is about 4" across with a bunch of long corkscrew leafs.

As a side note, what species are these two plant exactly. Also, I never planted my lily. The bulb is golfball sized now and it rests on top of the gravel, i've seen other completely plant them in the gravel. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I dug up a wild lily with bulb from the local pond and after a thorough cleaning put it in my tank. It seems to be doing well and sprouting new leaves. Never saw these in Walmart though.

75 gallon planted low tech
10 gallon quarantine planted low tech
5 gallon planted (sons) low tech
Plant heavily, fertilize well, stock lightly, change water weekly, and most importantly do not use too much light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcstank View Post
I dug up a wild lily with bulb from the local pond and after a thorough cleaning put it in my tank. It seems to be doing well and sprouting new leaves. Never saw these in Walmart though.
Pics? I've dug up a few white crested heart lilys before and had a good run with them until crayfish.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Regarding OP.. I've purchased three packs of bulbs. The first was a Wal-Mart set. I got lucky and the lily sprouted after sitting it in a window in a cup of tank water for a few weeks. So did two of the Aponogeton bulbs. I guess I got lucky with the lily bc it turned out to be purple, even new growth and, filled the majority of a 28g bowfront. Then I said hey I'll try again! This time I got it from PetSmart bulbs included a lily a few onion bulbs and Aponogetons. The lily rotted and one A. sprouted, and two Onion bulbs sprouted. So, I claimed success! This was about five years ago-ish. I don't have any of them anymore. Earlier this year I purchased a pack of Aponogeton bulbs from PetCo and none of them sprouted. I haven't seen the ones at ANY Wal-Mart since the first batch I got.. if I could find them at WM again I would buy the whole thing out.. I already have the tank planned.. Aponos, the lilies, Hydrocotyles and dwarf sag..

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBenson View Post
Regarding OP.. I've purchased three packs of bulbs. The first was a Wal-Mart set. I got lucky and the lily sprouted after sitting it in a window in a cup of tank water for a few weeks. So did two of the Aponogeton bulbs. I guess I got lucky with the lily bc it turned out to be purple, even new growth and, filled the majority of a 28g bowfront. Then I said hey I'll try again! This time I got it from PetSmart bulbs included a lily a few onion bulbs and Aponogetons. The lily rotted and one A. sprouted, and two Onion bulbs sprouted. So, I claimed success! This was about five years ago-ish. I don't have any of them anymore. Earlier this year I purchased a pack of Aponogeton bulbs from PetCo and none of them sprouted. I haven't seen the ones at ANY Wal-Mart since the first batch I got.. if I could find them at WM again I would buy the whole thing out.. I already have the tank planned.. Aponos, the lilies, Hydrocotyles and dwarf sag..
Walmart dropped them because they had too many returns it seems. They are really cheap in the end, and i'd expect to pay anywhere from 6-12 bucks for a sprouted lily at the petstore or online so buying 4-8 bulbs for that price and getting only 1 sprout is actually a good deal.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think at the time I paid $3 for the Wal-Mart pack..

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sounds about right

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode