Goldfish tank cloudy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Goldfish tank cloudy

My goldfish tank is cloudy I have 4 goldfish in a 40 gallon. Two are three inches and the other two are 2 inches. I have an aqua clear 70 filter, a tetra wisper (30-45 gallon) and a small 20 gallon tetra whisper filter. I used to have a floating plant in there but I took it out cause I thought that was the problem and it's still the same, have done several water change. Clean the gravel. I don't have ammonia or nitrite. Any suggestions why my tank is still cloudy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Did the cloudiness happen after you cleaned the gravel? It could be a bacteria bloom. A 40g tank is to small for 4 goldfish even with all that filtration. The cloudiness could be a reaction from the bacteria in the tank reacting the the bio-load of the goldfish...How long has the tank been running?

"One generation plants the tree, the next generation gets the shade"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Golds dig. Have these been disturbing the substrate?

What minerals or pH adjustments (if any) are you using?

Green water algae often starts as cloudiness that does not look green- it may look white or off white. If you have some clean white floss in any of the filters it could trap the algae and show green before the water turns green.

As suggested by Gplus, heterotrophic bacteria can grow fast enough to cloud the water. They often grow quickly when there is extra food in the water for them. They eat most forms of organic matter, and it could be material stirred up with a water change, or any of several other sources.

4 Goldfish @ 2-3" each is not a problem in a 40 gallon tank. They will eventually outgrow it, though. I would get them into a larger tank when the largest reach 4"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well iv had them about almost a year or year not sure. They do dig and spit out the gravel. They do that a lot!!! I really was just using a vacuum and gravel vaccing the bottom, nothing like using my hand and spreading and disturbing everything. Just regular maintenance!! Iv had them for a while and nothing like this has happened. Ever since I added the floating plant, I add flourish to help them grow and I started getting brown stuff on the glass like algae I guess. I was constantly cleaning the glass and I had stopped using the flourish. The brown had gone away after a couple water changes and stuff and cleaning the glass but then I left the plants in the tank and they started rooting and that good stuff, but then a few leaves started turning brown and dying and falling off, but I wasn't netting them out, I left them not knowing I was supposed too. I read and started picking out the leaves and making sure I vaccummed the leaves and all that stuff in the gravel. Plants are out now and I am doing water changes 20-30% every 3-4 days. Not sure if it's helping. No ammonia. So I added new carbon and bought this stuff to in cloud the water as my last resort. Any other suggestions what is happening? I'll write back if water clears after medication to the tank.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What is the NO3?
Do enough water changes to keep the NO3 under 20 ppm. It is not just the NO3, but all the other things that can accumulate in a tank with rising NO3.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nitrate is about 15
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
So the cloudiness only started happening after the dead leaves rotted in the tank?

If you are sure you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 15 nitrates and fish act fine then I think everything will be fine.

Even though you overfilter (good thing) the beneficial bacteria colony is only as big as the current bioload. So maybe the rotting leaves just caused a mini cycle until your BB get it in check. The brown algae is most likely diatoms.

Doing water changes while this is happening may be prolonging the cloudiness (water changes would remove the microscopic bacteria that make up the cloud and so the filter would never get to adjust, and the cloud would just keep reproducing since it outgrows everything, just needs a little time to overcome), like i said if all levels check out safe, I would just leave the tank alone to adjust. Only do a water change if it gets really murky, and most likely the toxic levels would be in the harmful range.

I doubt the plant really caused problem, I mean not by itself, it may be your conditions for the plant werent adequate and that caused it to decay and pollute the water.

Although I never had a minicycle/bloom from such a small bioload increase. Maybe the water changes didn't fully get conditioned yet (water conditioner to remove chlorine, etc) before running through your filters and thus killed off some beneficial bacteria causing a minicycle. But it seems unlikely since you've been maintaining them for over a year.
I have heard of artificial ornaments causing cloudiness from whatever chemicals on them. Also your substrate (gravel) would have nitrate pockets build up underneath and if big enough pockets of the nitrogen gas are released it can cause a minicycle real fast.

Last edited by WaterLife; 07-08-2015 at 05:32 AM. Reason: added more info
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My tank is even more cloudier!!!! What do I do??!!!! Should I strip the tank and clean the tank good with hot water and scrub the glass and re fill? What do i do? Please help

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode