review of a 13 yr old substrate, longevity predictions to be referenced at 23 yrs. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
review of a 13 yr old substrate, longevity predictions to be referenced at 23 yrs.

pumps out pillows of subwassertang for the lfs, I get a harvest every 2 mos. was able to get some last year from our sellers forum and its become my fastest grower!
last couple years occasional ei ferts as mixed by poster aquarist best fert mix ever

good cherry shrimp ( bred back to wild) 100 ish all interbred, more for farming and self sustenance in the tank

principle poop pellet deliverers.
I siphon some adult shrimp out at times to make room for new, these aren't color breeders they are for performance.
fert deliverers

wild type guppies work too, but shrimp fare better with long slow nutrient input imo.
and the key to an unending sandbed doesn't need replacement so far 13 yrs is:

flourite and possibly two pounds of laterite powder at the very bottom. if I could go back in time id change nothing on this tank. its a slow galapagos tortoise. ages sloooooowly

the goal was hands off self sustenance as long as possible between feeds, wchanges etc.

im awr of the various choices of substr options and how much cooler looking and initially nutrient balanced the pro substrs are

amano etc. That's what I use in my micro tank for the undeniable best look.

but I didnt want something with a bell curve life span when doing this tank, it was the lowest maintenance ecosystem I could design. something with normal maintenence infrequent water changes but it lasts forever. No electricity other than the light, and even then I did window light only for mos when my ballast went out. its tough, no heating no pumps.

a substrate that must release nutrients from the bottom is finite, but hard packed large grains like flourite chips simply have an amazing break down rate, in the order of decades not years. im close to 13 and the grains are the same. This creates an exchange option with the upper water table after 36 mos + much better than ball substrates do as they break down around then it seems.

The non breakdown is key imo.

open channel exchange and access.

the open spaces between grains take on mass indefinitely and you can siphon top layers without bed destruction, h sulfide emissions etc

export the sandbed lightly top two inches via standard bed siphon occasionally, to prevent total bed incursion yet the pelleting never stops so its clean, recharged pellets storing up, not just rotten waste from 8 yrs ago under a thin mix of new leaf litter and shrimp waste, the ability to occasionally clean siphon around the plant roots makes the nutrient tables refresh over and over

this sand started low nutrient compared to pro stuff didn't grow as well. its a rate that starts slow and finishes very strong, and very long term while the pro beds start ideal and then become rejecting to top down particle incursion and they eventually collapse which doesn't recycle nutrients well at all. Reading about bed replacement in the amano setups in 2002 is what made me not want to use them.

imo in hindsight, the laterite is expendable and might eventually yield less iron but I claim just cheating a little bit with ei ferts w make up when its multiple decades old.

if someone out there has pics of a sandbed that's old, post pics

b

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brandon429; 07-07-2015 at 04:04 AM. Reason: sp

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode