Avoiding transfer of snails to a new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Avoiding transfer of snails to a new tank

I have a 20-gallon tall tank (my first) that has been planted and running for about 2 years. There are a number of reasons I don't like this particular tank (including the fact that the kit came with pretty crappy lighting, as kits do) and I am about to upgrade. I am looking forward to putting everything I've learned from my mistakes into creating a much better setup. The problem is that I used to have a piece of driftwood in the tank that I believe seeded the tank with snails. I have assassin snails that keep the others in check but have not eliminated them. I am basically willing to abandon the substrate in the old tank, but was hoping to transfer the one pretty successful plant (an Amazon Sword). So, I know I will need to transfer a fair amount of the old tank water, and this seems fairly safe (?). But I've heard you should run the old filter in a new tank to help cycle it, and I routinely find small snails in the filter, so this seems like a bad idea. Any way to eliminate the risk of transferring snails with the plant? I'm putting black substrate in the new tank and would be really bummed to end up with a litter of snail shells over it. Any advice on cycling the tank efficiently and possibly transferring the plant is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
alum soak... It's not 100% sure-fire, but pretty good at eliminating them and if you do it long&strong you can even get the eggs..

you can get alum at the grocery store in with the spices, it's normally used to make pickles crisp... It is apparently also sold for agricultural purposes other places too...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=188430

I generally do 3T alum/gallon of water for 24 hours. I also tend to do a very brief potassium permanganate dip and rinse before, but that's mostly for algae spore control (PP does kill snails as well, but you can't really use it long enough to get eggs).

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Alum works wonders same dosage as listed above, but I prefer a 72-96 hour soak... much more effective than 24... and it seems to not harm the plants any...

Can do the sword and the driftwood no problem, just be aware its probably fatal to your assasins if youre looking to save them.

Not sure what alum wil do to BB in your filter, but you can try it... if you need to preserve live stock, I would avoid doing this...

If youre upgrading your tank your probably going to want to use a new larger filter, which can be seeded with a fishless cycle on the new tank (or in a bucket if space is an issue) that way you avoid snails in your old filter for sure

Help build the [
] and [
]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you so much for your replies! Can I soak the plant in a bucket filled with tank water? That way sparing the fish, etc.
Thanks again!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yes, i do it in a bucket...

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

Tags
cycling new tank, setup, snails, transfer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode