New to planted not to aquariums need some schooling lol - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planted not to aquariums need some schooling lol

New to the planted tank and planted aquariums.

I am going to try a 10 gallon at first and work my way up to a 29 gallon I have three tanks.

10 20l and 29 gallon.

these were all used for quarantine and nano reefs I upgraded to a larger reef tank and want tuse these tanks to learn and eventually have a badass 29 planted.

So for stuff I already have filters heaters circulation pumps aerater pumps and 1 2 x 65 watt powercompact 30 inch fixture also 2 x 24 watt t5ho. these were left over from reefing so I will need to buy 6500k bulbs. My pc light has one 6500/10000k daylight and actinic so I will just run the daylight on my ten and then replace with plant light once I get to the 20l or 29 gallon.

So what can I use for substrate for a begineer with no idea im looking for something low cost at first and eventually will get the good stuff.

I have grabbed some river rocks sand and a few plants from the river near by they are awesome.

also how long to cycle a tank month???

Do I use Ro reverse osmosis water? I have my own unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Welcome to the hobby! This is the right place to come to... I recommend diving into the forums and just reading about what your interested in...you'll learn a lot.

With respect to RO water, its not an absolute must like in saltwater.

Your lights will likely be okay if you were using them for corals. But be careful you probably have more than you need. If this was a car I consider the light to be the gas pedal. You can go faster in terms of growth but if things go wrong the faster it will happen, and by wrong i mean algae.

Do some research into plants. And the plants that you picked up at the river. The type of plants will dictate what substrate you need and how much light, ferts, and if you need c02. For example, I recently went to a low light, low maintenance tank growing ferns, anubias and crypts b.c. i got sick of trimming. I switched out my substrate for pool filter sand which is inert. I does ferts still and will be putting grow tabs in for the crypts.

If you are starting with the 10 gallon I'd go for the best you can afford. You wont need much for a 10 gallon and again, it will depend on what you are trying to grow. You can go from inert pool filter sand, to dirt (yes dirt) - look up Dianne Walstead method- or the high end Aquasoil by ADA. There are also plenty of others in between.

Cycling with plants is usually shorter..again depending on the type of plants and how many. They plants will use up at ammonia and nitrates. In fact, we dose nitrate for plants as part of fert regimes (look up EI or Estimative Index developed by Tom Barr).

People tend to advise to plant heavily when starting out. I agree with them. It shortens the cycle and makes the tank look nicer faster.

Good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok some wow this is simple.

I had some fox farm soil from my garden left over just tossed it in added what I got.

So what are some fish for ten gallons that I can keep with some kribensis and ram chiclids down the road.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Wait...you just tossed dirt in and filled it up? You shouldnt use just any old dirt. Did you read what i pointed you to?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Planted Member

I googled fox farm soil and read through the ingredients on quite a few of their soils.

All of the ones I read contained bat guano, and oyster shells. A few contained fish meal or other fish type things, kelp meal... They sound like a great soil for terrestrial plants... I personally wouldn't use it in an aquarium. The oyster shell alone to adjust the PH of the soil would be enough to stop me from using it (that's something I'd like to be able to easily control) I don't know anything about bat guano in aquariums, but I know it's poisonous for people to be around (like 100% natural bat guano, didn't have any info on what % bat guano the soil is)

Which type of fox farm soil did you use? Maybe there are other ones I did not see that are organic/"normal" that I didn't see?

Some members may be able to tell you what to expect based on the ingredients listed if we know what type you used.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode