E-Cig smog VS water surface/Gas Exchange - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
E-Cig smog VS water surface/Gas Exchange

Hey guys,

Not sure if this has ever been Asked/Mentionned:

I just thought about something and wanted opinions on my thought.

I am a Vaper (E-cig User)and I Use RDA's and RTA's and this kind of vaping creates major vapor smog inside my condo. The liquid I use Has Nicotine inside

I was wondering since the vapor is microscopic water bubbles floating in the air can it harm an aquarium since in theory as soon as the vapor touches the water surface it,(the water bubbles) "merges" or "bonds" with the aquarium water Thus Introducing Propelyne glycol, Vegetable glycerin, Flavour extracts and Nicotine into the water column.

Im not sure if you guys will understand what im trying to say. Hard to explain my theory..

Let me know what you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Easy, stop the E-sig. Protect aquarium from second hand vapor. Lol.

Chris
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooner View Post
Easy, stop the E-sig. Protect aquarium from second hand vapor. Lol.
Haha, I wish it was that simple but I am a NICO-FIEND and tried patches which failled utterly (had to smoke while wearing patch and expensive) and the gum is just disgusting and expensive.

and I need that mental satisfaction of seeing something happening when getting a nicotine fix. (you blow Vapor which looks like smoke), you dont notice anything when your chewing besides the horribad taste/texture or simply no feeling of uptake at all with the patch. One thing youll notice though is that all other Cigarette Quitting alternatives are as expensive or more expensive than just straight up buying a pack of smokes a day <<<---LOL

Well thats the case here in Canada, MEGA taxes on tobacco.. Example: a single Tin of "dip" in the U.S.A is like what around 1-5$, here in Canada its 19.99$ before taxes for a single tiny can of dip.

Last edited by Nano-Nater; 07-05-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Hit from the dabber made me do it

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Do you have a patio? Vap outside. Or, continue to vap inside and have your tank suffer any consequences.. it's an ethical decision on your part.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBenson View Post
Do you have a patio? Vap outside. Or, continue to vap inside and have your tank suffer any consequences.. it's an ethical decision on your part.
That is well said, Yes I do have a patio. Unfortunately I am more comfortable vaping inside my condo while doing anything compared to having to stop doing something to walk out and then vape and then come back. Also the temperature inside my condo is much more appealing to my comfort zone. compared to the Humid/hot outside. with that being said I guess ill just sniff the tank water surface when no smog present and see if I get a Hint of my E-Liquid Flavour(s)

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
How long have you been doing it? Are the fish alive? Seems fine. I would never worry about it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
Put a lid on the tank. But I believe I read somewhere that it has little to no effect on the tanks parameters and livestock...

Haha I just chew regular gum when I have a craving
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishumms View Post
How long have you been doing it? Are the fish alive? Seems fine. I would never worry about it.
I've been vaping for 6 months but using Clearomizers with coils of 1.5 or higher resistances with very restricted airflow which were producing 100x less Vapor(and flavour) and no lingering Smog.

The fish look fine, Im not worried actualy, I just wanted to ask the Question because Vaping is relatively new and I did not see another topic about Vaping and Aquariums interactions since it may have an impact long-term.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityfate View Post
Put a lid on the tank.
That wont happen, I dislike the look

Anyhow im not worried I am Curious.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The physical effects of Nicotine addiction only last about 48 hours or less. If you can get through that long then it is only the mental "I really want a smoke" thing that you just have to man up and ignore. It does go away after a while but I admit it is not easy. I personally feel that the tobacco companies would prefer you use the patch or nicotine gum because it keeps it in your system and therefore keeps the physical addiction going. I know one person who has been on the gum for more than 5 years.

I quit with Chantix and it was great. You keep smoking for a week or so while it builds up in your system and by the end of the week I would forget to even stop and have a smoke. Some people have weird dreams or other side effects from it but I did not and after a month I stopped that also and now several years down the road I no longer get any cravings.

I have no idea how it will effect your fish but it is pretty clear that it is not good for people. Keep trying to quit, eventually you will succeed.

Last edited by keymastr; 07-06-2015 at 12:08 AM. Reason: punctuation
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've been vapin for 3 yrs and have a 50 gal with 25 tetras and it is planted, and everything is just fine, Oh yeah I vape in my living room where the tank is.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiquik View Post
I've been vapin for 3 yrs and have a 50 gal with 25 tetras and it is planted, and everything is just fine, Oh yeah I vape in my living room where the tank is.

Darth Vapor!

Chris
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower

i've been vaping around my tanks for a while with no issues lol
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Glad to see folks on here switching from one habit to the other, lol. I'm a smoker and I hate it. An addiction is an addiction though. The last thing I want to do is get off one crutch and onto another. I've quit twice for about six months each time - for me the mental part is the hardest, it took me MONTHS mentally. What helped the most for me(like treating any addiction) is not being around it. I asked friends and family to not do it around me. I've had two friends who tried Chantix(twins) both suffered from disturbing dreams, depression and other generally bad thoughts. So I never tried it. It's good to see not everyone is affected this way - gives me hope! Sorry for the threadjack.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
First I'd say quit smoking entirely lol I'm glad I don't smoke at all.

And second don't worry, your tank will plenty fine regardless of whether you smoke or vape in the room wherever your tanks are at.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 03:42 AM
Algae Grower

Wow.... Alot of uninformed opinions on quitting smoking and / or nicotine, when that was NOT at all what was asked in the original post.

Nano-nater, I am a 3yr vaping veteran. I have worked in a vape shop. I have educated myself as much as possible on vaping and have fought for vaping rights. So, hear me when I say, don't listen to these nay-sayers! Good for you for quiting smoking! I had high BP at 26 yrs old and now, I have great BP. My dr told me last month, that if he didn't know better, he would never have guessed that I ever smoked. So, congrats on making a healthier lifestyle choice.

Anyways, there is very little nicotine exhaled in the vapor. It's mostly VG, PG and some flavorings. But mostly VG, since that is what actually causes the visual effect of the vapor. My husband and I both use RDA's and it has never hurt any of my tanks. I wouldn't recommend blowing vapor directly into the tank or anything like that, but what gets in there, won't hurt anything. Look at the ingredients of the food you feed them. Any pellets, flakes, etc you feed probably have vg or pg in them. So, vg or pg won't hurt the fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode