Cerges reactor letting some really tiny bubbles through, any suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cerges reactor letting some really tiny bubbles through, any suggestions?

Bubbles are tiny tiny (micro bubbles I guess). I don't care about wasting as much as I don't like the look of the bubbles in the tank. Any advice would be appreciated.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can you post up a pic of your reactor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Captain

Ah, BIG filter (i.e. tall). Unfortunately being an opaque filter body it does not help much seeing what is going on inside. When you built it, how did you set up the vertical tube that runs from the middle of the top housing down into the lower filter section?

What I am trying to figure out is if there is some way undissolved cO2 can be pushed down to the bottom of that tube and then into your tank. Or, could the tube have a leak at the top where it connects to the top housing?

On my setup, I have found if I push too much cO2 into the reactor, I get a big air bubble at the top. Then I can hear the water splashing into the top of the reactor. I seem to remember you got all the initial air bled our of yours so that should not be the issue.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

As the day goes on it goes from being really quiet to a bit of noise. It is forming an air pocket which is what is supposed to happen. There is no way the co2 could 100% dissolve into the water as fast as its going in. Slower bubble rate would be less of an impact. But I have a larger tank I need a higher bubble rate.

The tube is pushed inside the hole in the center and gorrila glued in place. I seriously doubt that any bubbles are getting in from there.

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Possibly try to slow down both your bubbles and the water flow into the reactor.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The reason I don't want to slow down my outflow from my filter is because I don't use power heads and I need some flow in the tank. The flow I have currently is already not that much, reducing it further would likely have a negative effect. I don't want to reduce the bps either. I want to make sure I am reaching the goal of 1 point ph drop to ensure good saturation.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

What if I fill the reactor with something to help creating turbulence, could that work?

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Captain

No, I would not advise slowing down your water flow from your filter. I also have a 75g tank and my filter is rated at 360gph and it barely seems to move much water (even though I know it is). I also a 500gph circulation pump in the tank to help keep the water moving.

Putting some very course filter pad in the reactor (or bioballs, or something similar) has been shown to help break up the cO2 bubbles faster.

As you stated, your reactor starts out quiet, then gets louder as the cO2 pocket forms at the top. I would think this indicates the cO2 is going in faster than it can dissolve. On my tank, I am running 7ish bubbles per second and don't get a bubble at the top of the reactor. Have no idea if it is because I am running a by-pass loop or not.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah that makes sense. Its for sure because of the bypass loop as its the only way that it would be possible not to have a pocket forming.

The bubbles only really start to show really late in the day and maybe its not as bad as I am making it sound. But I think I will try adding something like you have suggested to the reactor and see how it goes.

Immortal1, I am curious how fast does your ph drop? Do you run your co2 24/7? How much of a ph drop do you try and achieve?

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 PM
Captain

Running what I would guess to be 40-50% of my filter output thru the reactor, and as I said about 7 bps, it takes about 2-2.5 hours for my Milwaukee pH controller to shut off the cO2. Using my API test kit to help verify the Milwaukee controller, I am getting my pH down to 6.4 to 6.6 from somewhere around 7.4-7.6. The starting pH is tough to determine with the API kit as the low scale goes up to 7.6 and the high scale goes down to 7.4.

Have not really listened how long it takes for it to turn back on though, but I suspect it cycles several times per day. I am currently running my cO2 from 10:30am to 8:00pm. I am also running an air bubbler from 8:00pm to 10:00am. My lighting runs from 12:30pm to 9:00pm.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Mine ph takes almost all day to drop the full amount...

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Captain

That would explain a few things.
Your reactor is not dissolving the cO2 as fast as mine - because of the higher flow rate than mine? Have no idea.
Your reactor is not dissolving the cO2 as fast as mine which ends up giving you the sprite look. Why, again tought to say.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Algae Grower

What size pipe/hose are you using in side the container? On my setup I have 1 1/4 pipe inside for the downpipe. My return pump is a Quiet One 4000, not throttled back. My bubble rate is, well, not countable. My PH starts at 6.67 and comes down to a range of around 5.7 within 3 hours or so. I do get some (very few) micro bubbles, but you have to look for them. I can live with that.

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 11:03 PM
Captain

Chuck, from what I am guessing, your return pump has a max flow rate of over 1,000 gph. Assuming some head pressure I would guess your are at least over 800 gph. I looks like all your pump output is going thru your reactor. From my previous research on whole house filters, I am guessing yours has the 1" pipe in and out. With the clear housing I can also see how much cO2 bubbles are in there (somewhat similar to my reactor, except mine is a smaller version).

At your cO2 rate of "not countable", does your reactor ever form a bubble of cO2 at the top? If not, then that would indicate the higher flow of water is not effecting how quickly the cO2 dissolves. I found with my setup I could create a bubble of cO2 at the top if I ran the bps too high.

Also, do you ever notice the cO2 bubbles making it much lower than half way down the chamber?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
Here
With your reactor being a taller unit, I would guess the "visible" bubbles are not going to make it down to the bottom and then out to the tank. I guess at this point, I would try some type of course filter or bioball in the housing to see it you could further break up the in coming cO2.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode