Aquarium brands? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium brands?

I didn't want to hijack the $1/gallon thread, but it did spark some questions about brands as it seems Aqueon is not well thought of. I am planning on a new tank once I move, and it will likely be at least 55, maybe 75 depending on the layout of my new house.

Wondering what brands of aquarium are generally high quality. LFS sells Marineland in the 75g size and I am seriously considering going that way. Tempted by a acrylic tank but it seems those are geared toward salt with overflows and such, and I'm not savvy enough to know how that would work with a freshwater, planted community tank.

Thoughts/experiences/comments welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I'd recommend Aquatop tanks sold by Truaqua, great packaging of tank so it arrives safe and excellent silicone work, its better than mr.aqua tanks, extreamly minimal.
http://www.truaqua.com/high-clarity-...m-hca-48t.html
http://www.truaqua.com/high-clarity-...um-hca-48.html
I have a 7g cube by them LOVE IT.

They also have several curved corner tanks:
http://www.truaqua.com/rimless-aquarium-tanks.html
I've wanted to try one of these but there's no room left for another tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
In my experience, I don't mind the brands too much, maybe some seals would need to be resealed sooner (still years of use), but not too big of a deal for me.
I was reading that thread also, and I think Aqueon was mentioned as a good brand with Tetra brand being the not desired one. Marineland tanks are good.

Acrylic tanks can be used for freshwater too. Same with the overflows. The $1 gallon sales I think are only for glass aquariums and only for 55 gallon tanks and under.
Acrylic has welded/bonded seams so no need to reseal (unless tank cracks). If you don't mind used, you can usually find complete tank set ups for decent deals locally (great for getting acrylic tanks).

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have a 125g aqueon. The tank does the job. They're just fine and dandy.

The Tetra tanks are a bit worse, from what I've seen at PetCo. Many of the 40 breeders weren't even close to square at any axis.

that being said, these are the main stream commercial brands. there are a number of better quality. more expensive, brands out there. the difference being that they're going to be square, silicone isn't going to be all over the place, and the glass will be better quality.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I was going from memory and didn't check back into that thread - it was Tetra that was lower on the food scale. I'll have to do some digging to understand how the overflows and sumps work as this is an area I've never really explored.

Quick, to the interwebs!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've got a Top Fin, no problems with it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
Aqueon is terrific for the price your paying. Tetra can go either way, just depends on the shipment.
The higher quality brand tanks you are talking about come with a much higher price tag...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Planted Member

Im pretty sure marineland, tetra, and topfin/great choice tanks are all the same. I know they are all made by Perfecto while Aqueon is made by All Glass. It seems All glass is better quality than prefecto. I have noticed stores like petco and petsmart moving away from Perfecto. Ive heard Visio is a good tank. Anyone know about Deep Blue Professional?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode