how to get rid of snail from new plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
how to get rid of snail from new plants

I am just getting back into the hobby and am wondering how everyone deals with snails that may come in new plants. I have heard of a quarantine tank and just squish them until no more are seen, but what other methods are there and what works the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can dip your plants. One chemical that I've seen lately is potassium permanganate (KMnO4). I think it kills both snails and their eggs. You could probably house the plants in a QT tank with botiid loaches, that would get rid of a lot of your snails.

I've never dipped my plants, as I like the little bugs that come in. I've only ever gotten Physa snails before, and a lot of copepods, but I like both, so it's ok.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 12:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Dip your new plants in Alum. This and PP solutions are at aquariumplants.com

Chris

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 12:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use an alum soak... seems to be gentle on plants... though I havent tried anything incredibly delicate... 2-3 day soak in 1 TBS per gallon kills snails and snail eggs (snails usually dead within 30 minutes)... mildly effective against some algae... probably fatal to fish, invert safe (I.e. no copper so you can reuse the tank and available in the spice section of your local grocery store

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 02:54 AM
Algae Grower

You can go with the chemical treatments others have suggested, but I'm not a huge fan of using meds of chemicals unless absolutely necessary. A QT tank with a couple loaches will do the job for you naturally and will be safer for the plants in the long run.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I also don't use chemicals of any kind in my tanks, snails are good to some degree, assassin snails can control them if need be.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
I use an alum soak... seems to be gentle on plants... though I havent tried anything incredibly delicate... 2-3 day soak in 1 TBS per gallon kills snails and snail eggs (snails usually dead within 30 minutes)... mildly effective against some algae... probably fatal to fish, invert safe (I.e. no copper so you can reuse the tank and available in the spice section of your local grocery store
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You can go with the chemical treatments others have suggested, but I'm not a huge fan of using meds of chemicals unless absolutely necessary. A QT tank with a couple loaches will do the job for you naturally and will be safer for the plants in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
I also don't use chemicals of any kind in my tanks, snails are good to some degree, assassin snails can control them if need be.
To each their own. The Alum or PP are not for in tank use. Simply a dip, then thoroughly rinsed before putting plants in aquarium. Nothing harmful is getting into the aquarium. Alum is a pickling agent from the grocery store. It is used on food.

Cheers

Chris
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (45/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
Same thing here. Just give them a good wash. If you do happen to get a few stragglers then pluck them out. If that doesn't work then you can buy an assassin snail or two.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode