New Planted Tank kit by Top-fin? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Planted Tank kit by Top-fin?

I was just looking at sales at petsmart and it turns out they have a new product available:

http://www.petsmart.com/sale/supplie...ar_id=36-27504

None of the reviews say anything about the light but a review on a smaller model says that its enough for low-light plants:

http://www.petsmart.com//WFS/PETUS/e...B-A33231AAD0F4

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I had just seen that yesterday. Seems like a very nice-looking little nano tank. If the filter works well, there is plenty of good opportunities for lighting, given it is a short aquarium (9.5 inches high - 2 inches of substrate = 7.5 inches to substrate).

At that price there may be a lot of finnex-lover converts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
not sure what would make this a planted tank kit? Its a nice rimless 5 gallon tank with built in filtration. I suppose you could turn it into a nice planted tank with the right light though.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like a decent alternative to the Fluval Spec V, but much better price.

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and my

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Planted Member

Sorry for the low quality pic, I'm uploading from my phone.

I have this tank and I love it! The only thing I don't like about it is the top. It's just a solid glass piece with clips so it just hangs on top. I'll see if I can find a pic for you, I just left to go out of town so I can't just go snap a pic It doesn't have the most attractive lid. The filter has worked fine for what I use it for, I actually modded the filter a bit, took the cartridge out and put a fluval sponge in it, then on the other side I put a bag of bio Max and a bag of Purigen. Surprisingly the filter space is pretty roomy. The light is okay, I wouldn't rely on it to grow any plants for you though. Maybe low light plants, but that's about it. The light is pretty bright though.
I ended up buying an azoo flex mini led for it.
The tank is different dimensions than the fluval spec V, it's shorter and wider. I prefer the longer skinnier tanks myself, so I just picked up a fluval spec V for $45 haha.
Over all, it's a cute little tank that is decent for a simple planted tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1435858362342.jpg
Views:	1596
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	493130  

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Banned

PTrader: (45/100%)
Can you take the lid off permanently?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 02:36 AM
Planted Member

You can take the lid off permanently, but I have a cat so that's not an option for me lol. Plus I have a betta and shrimp so I'm always afraid they're gonna jump out if I don't leave the lid on!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
I have this tank as well for a rescue betta.

Over all I love it. I wanted one of the fluval specks due to it having a nice long look to it, but I hated that you could still see all the filter parts due to the glass being frosted and not solid black.

The light is really bright, not sure what the PAR is, but my green crypts, anubis, and some sort of rare nameless fern love it.

The filter is quite, the light is touch activated, AND it' only has ONE plug for both the filter and the light.

One of my old aqueon heaters fits nicely in the back compartment as well.

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 07:18 PM

Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem View Post
I have this tank as well for a rescue betta.

Over all I love it. I wanted one of the fluval specks due to it having a nice long look to it, but I hated that you could still see all the filter parts due to the glass being frosted and not solid black.

The light is really bright, not sure what the PAR is, but my green crypts, anubis, and some sort of rare nameless fern love it.

The filter is quite, the light is touch activated, AND it' only has ONE plug for both the filter and the light.

Thank you so much! I just rescued a Betta myself (someone left him in a dirty bowl in the garbage ) and have been researching a 5 or 10 gallon tank setup. This thread convinced me to register to this very forum.

I have a male Betta (I named him Warren) and I probably won't be looking for tank mates, too risky. This tank seems like a perfect all in one solution.

Do you find that the filter is enough, or do you still go through water changes? I'm also looking to cycle the water through an aquaponics setup, but I have a lot more research to do.

Thank you and happy to see others rescuing fish (I rescue kitties too and they love watching Warren).

I have him in this little cage because that's all I could bring home at the time: Top Fin Aqua Scene 1 Gallon Desktop starter aquarium

It all started when I rescued a Betta.....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywyntir View Post
Thank you so much! I just rescued a Betta myself (someone left him in a dirty bowl in the garbage ) and have been researching a 5 or 10 gallon tank setup. This thread convinced me to register to this very forum.

I have a male Betta (I named him Warren) and I probably won't be looking for tank mates, too risky. This tank seems like a perfect all in one solution.

Do you find that the filter is enough, or do you still go through water changes? I'm also looking to cycle the water through an aquaponics setup, but I have a lot more research to do.

Thank you and happy to see others rescuing fish (I rescue kitties too and they love watching Warren).
You're an awesome human ladywntir
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 07:04 PM

Thank you ^____^

I'd take in so many rescues so long as I have the room for them to live comfortably! <3 <3

It all started when I rescued a Betta.....
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
This looks like a great value,but,is it possible to hide a heater in the filter compartment like the spec? and would you have to disturb everything to service the filter?

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem View Post
Kitsune answered this one for you already.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 02:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarraa View Post
You can take the lid off permanently, but I have a cat so that's not an option for me lol. Plus I have a betta and shrimp so I'm always afraid they're gonna jump out if I don't leave the lid on!
Blows my mind that you have shrimp with a betta. He doesn't eat them?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarraa View Post
Blows my mind that you have shrimp with a betta. He doesn't eat them?
Not at all! He doesn't even pay attention to them. I've had snails and Otos in with him as well and he has always been fine

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode