What is up with these shipping rates? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
What is up with these shipping rates?

Hey guys.
I am planning on shipping some plants out so I got some Priority Mail bozes at the post office today.
I have been looking at the for sale and trade threads for a while now and I noticed that shipping is usually about $7-$8 per box.
However, when I went to the post office today, the shipping rates for the boxes were $5.95 for a small and $12.95 for a medium. Where does anyone get priority mail boxes that cost $7.00 to ship? Is there a specific type of box or something?
THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanauts View Post
Hey guys.
I am planning on shipping some plants out so I got some Priority Mail bozes at the post office today.
I have been looking at the for sale and trade threads for a while now and I noticed that shipping is usually about $7-$8 per box.
However, when I went to the post office today, the shipping rates for the boxes were $5.95 for a small and $12.95 for a medium. Where does anyone get priority mail boxes that cost $7.00 to ship? Is there a specific type of box or something?
THANKS!
There are discounts online. the medium is 11.35 to ship online. But most of what you see is people using their own packaging and shipping priority. With own packaging and weight under 1lb shipping is about $5-7 all the way up to a 12x12x12 box.

Flat rate boxes are actually more expensive unless you are shipping something that weighs more than 1lb. When you have items that will fit in a medium flat rate box but weigh 5+lbs it is much cheaper to ship flat rate.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wait what do you mean "using their own packaging"?
Also, you are saying that as long as the package is less than or about 1lbs shipping should not exceed $8?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Wait what do you mean "using their own packaging"?
Also, you are saying that as long as the package is less than or about 1lbs shipping should not exceed $8?
By using a non flat rate box I should say. And yes, once you go past 1lb the prices jump into the next tier.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

But if I used a non flat rate box, wouldn't it take forever to ship out the plants leading to plant death?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
But if I used a non flat rate box, wouldn't it take forever to ship out the plants leading to plant death?
Priority is priority, regardless if you use flat rate or ship in your own box as priority mail.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Priority is priority, regardless if you use flat rate or ship in your own box as priority mail.
I can do that?
How do I priority mail ship a normal box?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i know when i do order plants i try to get it from someone who is closer to me rather than someone farther away just so the plants have a better chance
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
I can do that?
How do I priority mail ship a normal box?
Just like any other shipment. Select on line or pay at post office for priority mail. Post office even has non flat rate priority mail boxs for free.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Just like any other shipment. Select on line or pay at post office for priority mail. Post office even has non flat rate priority mail boxs for free.
This^ If you go to the usps website you can have as many boxes sent to your house as you want at no cost to you. I have a whole closet of various sizes so that I can just handle it all from home.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The 6x6x7 box is regular priority mail. That's your $7 box, price will go up with weight and distance. Less than 2 lbs will be $6.95 on your coast, and go up the further you ship to around $11 for cross country.

The $5.95 and $12.95 boxes are flat rate. You can stuff it full of lead or stuff it full of feathers and it will still cost the same no matter what the weight and distance.

You can ship normal priority postage in ANY box.

To take advantage of flat rate, you will need the specific box from the usps that says "priority flat rate". You can not use any old box for flat rate shipping.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode