Water wisteria pruning to encourage growth - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water wisteria pruning to encourage growth

I got some water wisteria about 2 months ago and it had a major melt and then came back, only on the top leaves. Is there a way to prune it to encourage it to fill back in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Normally the problem with water wisteria is more like how do I stop the growth as opposed to how do I stimulate growth...

That being said, there might be an underlying problem you need to identify (fert, lightining, something munching on them...)

You can always let it float and grow depending on much you have left, you should be able to get some parts big enough to grow back. It's normally pretty tough plant I am not aware of any way to trim it to promote growth. It just grows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
Normally the problem with water wisteria is more like how do I stop the growth as opposed to how do I stimulate growth...

That being said, there might be an underlying problem you need to identify (fert, lightining, something munching on them...)

You can always let it float and grow depending on much you have left, you should be able to get some parts big enough to grow back. It's normally pretty tough plant I am not aware of any way to trim it to promote growth. It just grows.
its in ecocomplete. I gave it a root tab when i planted to encourage growth. I use flourish and excel once a week. lighting is a current freshwater led+. and nothing is munching on it.

thoughts?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pictures?
Do you have other plants? and how are they doing? I unfortunatelly don't use flourish or excel and the like. It is my understanding there is a variety of flourish product. Which one do you use?

|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
wisteria is a real nutrient hog, the problem sounds like a lack of macros

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Pictures?
Do you have other plants? and how are they doing? I unfortunatelly don't use flourish or excel and the like. It is my understanding there is a variety of flourish product. Which one do you use?
Quote:
Pictures?
pictures below!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I see.
I would chop them up in the upper part and let them float for a while. See how that goes. Once it starts to root, you could plant or divide them depending how growth goes.
The fact that they were growing a lot and more or less suddenly stopped could be due to the fact that as they get bigger, they require more nutrients but there was just not enough.

I don't think you indicated what flourish you use. As it stands right now, root tabs are probably useless. Personally I use potassium sulfate and iron chelate.

Is it Cryptocoryne parva you have at the bottom?

|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I see.
I would chop them up in the upper part and let them float for a while. See how that goes. Once it starts to root, you could plant or divide them depending how growth goes.
The fact that they were growing a lot and more or less suddenly stopped could be due to the fact that as they get bigger, they require more nutrients but there was just not enough.

I don't think you indicated what flourish you use. As it stands right now, root tabs are probably useless. Personally I use potassium sulfate and iron chelate.

Is it Cryptocoryne parva you have at the bottom?
okay thanks. I will try that. I have flourish complete and excel. I have also increased the light intensity as the hair algea problem has been resolved.

Also, yes, it its cryptocoryne parva at the bottom. I got two pots and have a nice little garden.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I pruned two larger pieces from the tops and have them floating. How long should i do this before replanting?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I ee 2 options.
1. Wait for some roots to grow. This will allow the plants to gain some volume as well.

2. Let them grow until you can divide them so you have more if you want more plants before planting. It's easier to manipulate if left floating in my opinion.

|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode