Putting a new HOB filter on an established tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Putting a new HOB filter on an established tank.

My ten gallon is in the process of cycling for the very first time and so far I've learned I hate the crappy TopFin10 filter I had laying around and want to replace it with an AquaClear 30. My question is when I want to make the swap, how do I make the change over without crashing the tank?

Run the two filters side by side for a while until I feel confident to remove the top fin?

Run the new filter with the media from the top fin sandwiched in there as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrammer252 View Post
Run the two filters side by side for a while until I feel confident to remove the top fin?
This is my preferred method you could always put some natural sea sponge or zip-tie some pantyhose to the intake of the 30 at first if the added flow tosses your plants around.

-Diagnosed Hygroholic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can cut off the floss part of the filter cartridge and stick that into the AC30.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:01 AM
Planted Member

I would run both together to let bacteria colonize the aqua-clear.

Why do you hate the top fin filter? As long as your reasoning for not liking it isn't noise related it wouldn't hurt to run both if you will be heavily planted.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

filter.

I would also run both together for a while. And I would go with a 50 instead of a 30.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I would transfer media to the new filter. I have done that before without any major problems.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplus View Post
I would run both together to let bacteria colonize the aqua-clear.

Why do you hate the top fin filter? As long as your reasoning for not liking it isn't noise related it wouldn't hurt to run both if you will be heavily planted.
I don't think it's working correctly. Water flows through the cartridge and back into the tank, but it also runs back into the tank unfiltered overspilling over the 'uptake' area as well.

As far as a 50 on a 10 gallon? Wouldn't that be way overkill as well as creating a ton of water flow in the tank?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrammer252 View Post
As far as a 50 on a 10 gallon? Wouldn't that be way overkill as well as creating a ton of water flow in the tank?
Well as long as it's not uprooting everything water flow is good for a planted aquarium. Moves heat and liquid ferts around, keeps detritus from piling up in certain spots, Allows ambient C02 from the air in the room to become diffused in the water.

In short over-filtration is the best filtration...to a point.

-Diagnosed Hygroholic
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:19 AM
Planted Member

The cartridges in the top fin must be clogged if its bypassing. Straighten that issue out and run it and the AC30 long term. Or if you want to spend more money get an AC50 like others suggested and if you think there is to much flow, AC filters have adjustable flow so you'll be good to go!

Btw, If I set the flow rate on my aqua-clear 30 to high it too leaks a bit of water back into the tank around the intake tube. It usually does it when it needs cleaning.

"One generation plants the tree, the next generation gets the shade"
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:20 AM
Algae Grower

Take it from someone who crashed his 10g tank and killed a centerpiece fish destin for the main tank. DON'T BE HASTY, RUN BOTH FILTERS FOR A BIT!!!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
The cartridges in the top fin must be clogged if its bypassing. Straighten that issue out and run it and the AC30 long term. Or if you want to spend more money get an AC50 like others suggested and if you think there is to much flow, AC filters have adjustable flow so you'll be good to go!
The cartridge is five days old... The only thing that could be clogging it up is a fungal bloom from my new driftwood.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyB View Post
Take it from someone who crashed his 10g tank and killed a centerpiece fish destin for the main tank. DON'T BE HASTY, RUN BOTH FILTERS FOR A BIT!!!
How did you crash it exactly?

Also, here's a picture of the overflow on the old top fin 10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150623_205439363_1435112853330.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	490026  

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:35 AM
Planted Member

Keep running the top fin. Add the AC30 and after a week or so remove the carbon pouch (green top) from the top fin. Replace it with some sort of bio media whether it's cheap dollar store scouring pads or filter floss or pet store bought bio media. For now, try slightly pulling up on the carbon pouch (green tab) while keeping the front bio sponge all the way down. That should allow for more flow through the media

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Keep running the top fin. Add the AC30 and after a week or so remove the carbon pouch (green top) from the top fin. Replace it with some sort of bio media whether it bee cheap dollar store scouring pads or filter floss or pet store bought bio media. For now, try slightly pulling up on the carbon pouch (green tab) while keeping the front bio sponge all the way down. That should allow for more flow through the media
Uh oh. Uh, that green top filter is the only thing in there. I was under the impression it was a filter and that was the only thing I needed.

Is this not a filter cartridge? Have I messed up already? Haha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14351135890851333907904_1435113622541.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	490034  

Name:	14351136311711758787328_1435113644046.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	490042  

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

No you haven't messed up. The picture made it look like there's a bio media sponge in front of the carbon filled cartridge you have pictured. Most tetra filters have a second sponge I assumed the top fin would be the same... Honestly what I would do is either buy an AC50 like others suggested and run it side by side for a while then remove the top fin or buy an AC30. If you buy the AC30 run them both but after a week or so remove the cartridge from the top fin and fill it with some sort of bio media. Planted tanks really only need mechanical and bio filtration. Running just bio media in the top fin would turn it into a workhorse keeping your ammonia/nitrite levels down..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode