Checks Vs Money Orders? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Checks Vs Money Orders?

I want to sell plants, but I have no PayPal and I CAN NOT get one. So I hear the next best thing is money orders; which are kind of like checks.
So, why can't I just send/receive checks instead of money orders? Because money orders have a fee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ok, you can
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Money orders might have a fee, but it's just like cash. Checks might bounce if the person your selling to doesn't have money in the bank.. Not guaranteed.

The Fraternity of Dirt #164
I'm so crazy I use Sunlight!!
RAOK CLUB #149

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
A lot of people only accept postal MOs (there are other types). The advantage of them is that you don't have to have a bank account to cash them - can do so at the PO.

With checks, it's pretty much a standard to wait for it to clear before shipping - just in case.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Most people aren't going to run out and waste their time to get a money order to buy $2 worth of plants when they can just get it from someone else with a paypal account. Same with a check. They're not going to wait 2-4 days for the check to clear.

Just enjoy the hobby and not worry about selling since you're underage.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Algae Grower

Probably not what you wanted to hear but mistergreen gave pretty practical advice.
Another option would be to sell locally to hobbyists and LFS.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalTrance View Post
Another option would be to sell locally to hobbyists and LFS.
That's a good option.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have been selling to my lfs, but I am not just going to sell $10 worth of plants at a time........more like $300 I am talking like 5-6 mats of HC, DHG, Micro swords etc, with 5-10 or so Large Amazon swords, a whole bunch of stem plants, dwarf sag, etc
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Everyday you post a new thread about how to get paid for what you want to sell. All the answers you get are the same. I know you are young and enthusiastic. You have a plan in your mind of what you want to do but are having a hard time getting it accepted. Ask yourself a few simple questions.........
1. Do i have the time and resources to follow through with the plan?
2. Do I have enough stock to fill orders?
3. Is what I have worth the time?
4. What is my end goal?
You need to have a real honest answer for these questions. If you are serious about wanting to sell plants as a supplemental business to help fund your hobby these are things you need to commit to. If you have legitimate answers, the real work starts.
1. growing and having enough stock on hand of quality plants
2. logistics....how do you plan to ship? do you have transportation when needed?
3. what kind of reputation do you have? are you responsible? are you willing to stand behind what you sell?
Running a business isn't easy, it takes time and hard work. Having a good reputation is even harder work. I don't want to discourage you from your endeavor, I just want you to be sure in your mind that this is really what you want. Everybody has dream, very few have what it takes to fulfill that dream.
I wish you the best of luck. I also will ask you to talk with your parents about it. Don't go into the conversation with an attitude, but calmly talk with them, lay out your plan, show them that you will be responsible, prove to them that you are committed, and most of all listen to them. First step in running a business is to be a good negotiator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
can your rents not make or let you use their paypal account?

Other I think you are sol until you get of age.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You'd need quite a lot of plants to make $300 profit. Consider that a retailer is going to need to sell it for what it's worth at retail, meaning that your LFS is not going to give you the same amount of money that a hobbyist would. LFS would need to mark up the product so they can make a profit too. So let's say that you DID have $300 worth of plants (retail) then selling to a LFS you may only make $100 - $150.

Also, I dont mean offense, but I've seen some of your tanks in your vids and your idea of algae free is not my idea of algae free. Personally, I wouldn't spend my money to purchase plants from a possible 14 - 15 year old young fella, and definite novice. (Seriously, please don't take that the wrong way. Just how it is when you're young.)

IMO it'd probably be advisable for you to stay local til you're old enough. Solidify your system. Grow from there. I know you probably think you've got it all down, but there's SO MUCH to learn in the hobby. After 10 years of working in the hobby, about as long using plants in the hobby, plus 4 years of working in a green house, there's still SO MUCH out there for me to learn.

I respect and admire your entrepreneurship, truly, but if you want to make decent money, you'll need A LOT of plants, on a regular basis. I imagine you've got too much goin on at your age to get that much goin. May be a great thing to do during the summer for you, though. Maybe if you work out all the logistics, get regular sales going locally, and show your parents that it's something you CAN do (need to prove it to yourself too), then maybe they'll oblige and create a pay pal in your name and you can expand your business as you're able from there.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
can your rents not make or let you use their paypal account?

Other I think you are sol until you get of age.
Was going to say this.

I also agree with others who said if you really want to turn a profit you will need to put a ton of effort in and gain a reputation.

I would never seriously sell plants at profitable prices unless they were IMMACULATE. Whenever I sell I just look to make a few bucks if I can. If that fails I will just RAOK off a ton of plants for the price of shipping just to help out the community. Beats throwing away healthy plants...

If you seriously want to sell you would have to compete with two types of people:
Myself and others who sell stuff cheap at trim time and RAOK stuff just to get rid of it. A lot of people do this.
Serious sellers on here who consistently have GREAT / rare plants that they charge a premium for because they know they can.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
Was going to say this.

I also agree with others who said if you really want to turn a profit you will need to put a ton of effort in and gain a reputation.

I don't really know how old this kid is, but I would suggest putting your focus into finishing school and getting out of your parents house before you start up a project like this. I understand how exciting it is to want to start a business venture. You really need to think it through, and if figuring out how to accept payment is your first issue to overcome, you have a long way to go my friend. Enjoy the hobby, join a local club and start there.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
I don't really know how old this kid is, but I would suggest putting your focus into finishing school and getting out of your parents house before you start up a project like this. I understand how exciting it is to want to start a business venture. You really need to think it through, and if figuring out how to accept payment is your first issue to overcome, you have a long way to go my friend. Enjoy the hobby, join a local club and start there.
Also this. School is important.

You will have a huge head start if you are already an adept aquarist / planted tank keeper at such a young age. I didn't get into seriously keeping planted tanks until a few years ago (I was 21) and I still have so so so much to learn.

Enjoying the hobby is the most important part. Stressing over selling plants to make like $100 a month would kill it for me... Just enjoy selling what you can and enjoy the satisfaction of people liking to buy from you and thanking you for selling to them.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's an idea, stopping asking questions and create a FS thread of your plant stock and list your methods of payment and shipping costs.

As for pricing, I always get an idea from other sellers price and get an avg, of course that doesn't include what expenses you may have incur to grow it to break even.

If you get no buyers due to payment method then all your questions regarding that is for naught and at that point you should be bothering your parents about opening up a Paypal account for you...

I would focus on ensuring you are growing quality stock more so than worry about payment types, if it looks great and priced right people may consider buying it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode