Help encourage the newbies - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help encourage the newbies

I thought this would be kind of fun, as well as encouraging for the people just starting out to be able to see the progress some of you have had with your tanks. Hopefully no one will take offense to this...it's all out of good fun!

Post your pics of your tank when you first started and where you're at now. (How long it took to get to where you're at) If you've had algae issues, show us pics while at its worst! Help the newbies (like myself) see that there's light at the end of the tunnel!

My current issue: plants melting, brown algae and hair algae issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
What kind of plants? my vals melted completely,but they sent out runners and new leaves and are growing back now.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Algae Grower

First pic was my 1st tank 1 month in. The 2nd pic was a rescape I did last week

http://imgur.com/a/iWLBr

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
What kind of plants? my vals melted completely,but they sent out runners and new leaves and are growing back now.
I have all kinds of plants in there, can't even remember them all ha. The only plants that are growing like crazy are the Bacopa and the anacharis

[QUOTE=Embors;8002114]First pic was my 1st tank 1 month in. The 2nd pic was a rescape I did last week

Thank you for sharing!! definitely gives me hope that my tank will get better in time. Love your set up! I was thinking about setting up my 10 gal as well...haha
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oops, I did the reply wrong on that last post haha. Sorry!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Figured I would upload a pic of my tank, I still have to find a piece of dw for that open space in the middle/right side. This was right after I scrubbed out all the algae and did a 50% water change so it doesn't look as bad as it usually does after a week lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1434779140805.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	487938  

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 05:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Don't have a current shot right now, but here's some quick growth (both plant and algae) shown over the course of a week while I was out of town. I had just installed my co2 system and came back to a bunch of growth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1434779659158.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	487954  

Name:	image_1434779678568.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	487962  

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 07:22 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
3/14

11/14

5/15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I only do low tech tanks for cost reasons. Low tech tanks are so unbelievably cheap to setup and operate but my setups can't hold a candle to some folks with gorgeous high tech setups. But maybe seeing what low tech tanks can grow in to will be inspiring. There are much better low tech setups than mine I might add as I'm still a novice at this, aquascaping especially.

5 Months Later

Current

Here's my 20 gallon which I would argue yielded some impressive results from only the plants from the initial planting you see in the first picture. No additional plants were added.

And about 6 months later.

On that last tank I used a Stingray from beginning to end and still do though the aquascape I have now is faltering a bit.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 07:56 AM
Algae Grower

Welp. Been reading a lot of these forums, so I just made an account. Guess this is perfect timing. Just getting into this whole planted tank hobby. Here's what I got so far. 6/15
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1434786931976-1945756490_1434786957349.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	488050  

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramflowz View Post
Don't have a current shot right now, but here's some quick growth (both plant and algae) shown over the course of a week while I was out of town. I had just installed my co2 system and came back to a bunch of growth.
Wow that's some crazy growth in just a week! I need whatever miracle grow you're using haha. Nice tank btw, if you get a chance I would love to see a current shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
3/14

11/14

5/15

I'm still so impressed by your tank Burr! Beyond jealous you get to look at that every day! It looks like a tank straight out of a magazine. Love it! Crazy to see where that tank started at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
I only do low tech tanks for cost reasons. Low tech tanks are so unbelievably cheap to setup and operate but my setups can't hold a candle to some folks with gorgeous high tech setups. But maybe seeing what low tech tanks can grow in to will be inspiring. There are much better low tech setups than mine I might add as I'm still a novice at this, aquascaping especially.

5 Months Later

Current

Here's my 20 gallon which I would argue yielded some impressive results from only the plants from the initial planting you see in the first picture. No additional plants were added.

And about 6 months later.

On that last tank I used a Stingray from beginning to end and still do though the aquascape I have now is faltering a bit.
Nice!! I love how simple it is and yet so pretty!! Very natural, maybe I'll set up my 10 and do a low tech tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teloe View Post
Welp. Been reading a lot of these forums, so I just made an account. Guess this is perfect timing. Just getting into this whole planted tank hobby. Here's what I got so far. 6/15
Love the rocks! I wanted to do a hard scape like that but couldn't find rocks like that anywhere so I gave up lol. So excited to see how it turns out! what size tank is it? Any plants you plan to do?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Love the rocks! I wanted to do a hard scape like that but couldn't find rocks like that anywhere so I gave up lol. So excited to see how it turns out! what size tank is it? Any plants you plan to do?[/QUOTE]

Haha online was to expensive to buy the seiryu stones, but I found the at my local Creek and really liked them haha. Brought home 65 pounds of rocks in my backpackx. Had a lot to chose from. But thankyou ! And yes plant wise I am going to drain it
(since nothing is even established yet it won't be a problem) and try DSM with HC.
And 20 gallon long

Last edited by Teloe; 06-20-2015 at 06:18 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Quote:
Love the rocks! I wanted to do a hard scape like that but couldn't find rocks like that anywhere so I gave up lol. So excited to see how it turns out! what size tank is it? Any plants you plan to do?

Haha online was to expensive to buy the seiryu stones, but I found the at my local Creek and really liked them haha. Brought home 65 pounds of rocks in my backpackx. Had a lot to chose from. But thankyou ! And yes plant wise I am going to drain it
(since nothing is even established yet it won't be a problem) and try DSM with HC.
And 20 gallon long[/QUOTE]

Haha that's awesome! I live in Arizona (aka the hell hole) so there's no creeks or lakes around to find any cool stuff haha. That's awesome though! You'll have to make a journal so I can follow along with the progress
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Algae Grower

Testing picture size real quick

Last edited by Teloe; 06-20-2015 at 06:57 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Algae Grower

Haha that's awesome! I live in Arizona (aka the hell hole) so there's no creeks or lakes around to find any cool stuff haha. That's awesome though! You'll have to make a journal so I can follow along with the progress[/QUOTE]

Ahh that's too bad ): it was a fun adventure. And yes great idea!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode